Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Escher2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Michigan
We have two Instron machines in our in-house test lab. They are the machines that are used to test the stress / strain of materials... and are exactly what would be used to check this type of thing.

So - here is my offer - I'm a Senior Mechanical Engineer at my company. If someone has an iPhone 6 they want to donate - I will get in touch with my testing department and see about setting up the test. You would obviously be present for the testing - and it would be a destructive test.

We can record video of the entire test and I can supply an actual CLD (Compression - Load - Deflection) report for the test. This is what we do every day. It will show how much force v.s. amount of deflection.

I just have to check and make sure we have a high limit load cell available and verify that my test dept manager will do it and that corporate is fine with it as well...

No joke. If you want to see this done, I can probably get it done. I'm curious as to what the results would be.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
I'm sure any of the Mac websites would donate a 6 for the publicity.

Non science tells me it is just as strong as my 5s was though for whatever it's worth

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple is supposed to have skilled engineers for that.

I didn't pay to have my new car crash tested.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
We can record video of the entire test and I can supply an actual CLD (Compression - Load - Deflection) report for the test. This is what we do every day. It will show how much force v.s. amount of deflection.

Not as scientific as you are talking about doing but...

Escher2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Michigan
Apple is supposed to have skilled engineers for that.

I didn't pay to have my new car crash tested.

Yup - I'm sure they do...

Just thought it would be interesting... I'm sure the average person would never get to see that data.

----------

Ohhh and I just want to add... I'm not a hater - I love my iPhone 6! Just curiosity is getting the best of me..

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I Believe In Apple...

Yup - I'm sure they do...

Just thought it would be interesting... I'm sure the average person would never get to see that data.

----------

Ohhh and I just want to add... I'm not a hater - I love my iPhone 6! Just curiosity is getting the best of me..

You've done a good job of putting this in perspective for others.

I LOVE Apple products when they do their best work. Many years and literally a hundred thousand dollars later, I've got Apple everything and that's why I'm so irritated with them.

I WANT an iPhone 6, but I'm a REALISTIC buyer, not a gullible believer in the excuses. I'm extremely skilled about Apple history good and bad. No company is perfect.

But with a never ending amount of money and resources Apple is capable of far better, no one can convince me otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.