ok IM A NOOB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThaIllMama, Nov 24, 2008.

1. ThaIllMama macrumors newbie

:apple: ok my macbook will turn on but it takes me to a white/grey screen w just the apple logo on it.no little timer circle or anything comes on just that!also that start up noise as well comes on. please help me idk wut to do.i look all thru these forums and saw a black screen problem solver or hints but nothing for the grey screen! and it was a gift so i dont have the paperwork or box!if anyone can help my poor lil mac id appreciate it a lot!!!:apple:
    p.s. i tired te restart holdin command,control,power and the reboot of command ,option p&r...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll need the disks. Either the two that came with the computer or a Leopard retail copy.

What kind of person gifts a computer without the box, accessories, or disks?

HMM...

And again... HMM...

3. ThaIllMama thread starter macrumors newbie

My ex gifted it to me cuz he got another computer the air...so idk..now we dont speak!fun stuff....:(

:apple: and thank u ! wut is the problem tho? :apple:

4. belvdr macrumors 601

like omg lol, idk...

Really, we're not on cell phones here... He told you; you need the installation disks to fix the OS.

5. ThaIllMama thread starter macrumors newbie

ok first off he didnt tell me the problem a$$ he just told me wut to do to alleviate it .if u dont have nething constructive to say then gtfo of my thread. ur nonsense isnt wanted here...

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

grow some manners and be nice to those who try to help you solve your problems:rolleyes:

none of us get paid to help you so be considerate. i swear some people....

7. belvdr macrumors 601

Boy, you are sure sunshine today. You asked what you needed to do, and I quote:

And you were given advice and now you're crying about it. That seems constructive to me. No sympathy here.

8. ThaIllMama thread starter macrumors newbie

he wasn't helping he was bein an a$$..so why do i get attacked?the other person i thank graciously.what was the point of the other guys post?please tell me...:confused:

9. belvdr macrumors 601

I'm not attacking you. I'm simply saying, did you follow the first person's advice? Did it work? It's an OS problem and it needs to be repaired. It could missing files, corrupt partitioning, practically anything.

10. ThaIllMama thread starter macrumors newbie

please show me where i was crying about anything...i thanked him and asked if he could tell me the problem...u failed not constructive at all jus u wanting attention...

11. belvdr macrumors 601

And, again, I just told you. Also, the name calling doesn't really do anything to support anyone's view.

12. ThaIllMama thread starter macrumors newbie

nope not yet just posted this thread and got patronized for askin for help by you there was absoutly nothing constructive about ur post at all...pshh

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

use your restore discs as has been stated multiple times as of now

otherwise tough luck to say the least

to everyone else, i say just move on. hard to be helpful, but even harder to be helpful for those who arent considerate

14. ThaIllMama thread starter macrumors newbie

newhoo im off to the store to get the disks and hopefully it solves the problem thank you very much for all ur help ...lol jeez some ppl..

15. belvdr macrumors 601

You're not getting it. Until you put the disc in and repair the OS, we can't look into a crystal ball and know what the problem is.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is it just me, or is there a lot of animosity on the forums as of late?

It's the holidays, people. Temper your spirits. And then remember to keep doing it the rest of the year.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

or you wont get presents;)

18. ThaIllMama thread starter macrumors newbie

well see now ur bein helpful that was a lot nicer to hear than mean remarks...im off now to open the crystal ball!!!so if ur willing ill be back...relax jeez its only almost 9am here....sheesh:apple::p

thank you again all i wanted was some help and i got attacked!! go to cpixel if u need to release some animosity lol...thanks again im sure ill be back...cross ur fingers...

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

best of luck!

20. yoavcs macrumors regular

First of all, in relatively recent Macs the diagnostics are embedded in firmware so try pressing D and holding for a few seconds as soon as the gray screen with the Apple logo comes up.

Another venue is pressing Option at this time to try to choose a different boot partition.

Is the computer chiming or beeping? Those are diagnostic codes that can help us diagnose the problem.

If you have an Apple store near you just go there and get help. The Geniuses will at least tell you what the problem is even if the computer is out of warranty and needs payment to fix.

<rant mode on>
    Finally, the so-called animosity towards you began because of your use of texting idioms while typing. You were marked out for that and then proceeded to respond in an unpleasant way.

Using text-speek is quite annoying and generally leaves the feeling of a hyper-active 13 year old who can't even stop jumping around for long enough to formulate their thoughts into a coherent sentence and post them.

Personally, it annoys me to no end and makes me sad to see us stumble back a few hundred years ago to times when only a small portion of the populace could read and write and actually form proper thoughts.

21. belvdr macrumors 601

I agree, and that's why I responded like that. Maybe I was wrong to come across that way, and if so, I am sorry.

That said, I was told I was policing the forums when I stated this not too long ago. It's good to see someone share my thoughts.

22. yoavcs macrumors regular

I think you'll find many who share your thoughts on the issue.

It's just impossible to really do anything about it, and the forums get littered up real quick with grammar fights once someone starts pointing these things out.

It's better to just ignore it. I usually just ignore the entire thread that starts with 'wut' and 'lol' and all that crap.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea if i cant read it easily, then i lose interest reeeeeaaaaal fast

this was borderline

24. ThaIllMama thread starter macrumors newbie

OK..I am truly sorry that I didnt form my question in the proper manner I am just a little upset about my computer taking a crap on me and it was early.This was the first place I got to post on to see if anyone could lend some helpful advice! All I can chalk it up to is my inexpierence in the forums and didn't realize i could so easily offend someone with my texting grammar. My apologies! And I did state that i was a noob..so instead of coming at someone who has plainly stated this , you should of approached me a little better and you would of gotten a better response from me sooner! Not me gettin defensive on top of the fact my computer isnt well!
    Sorry again

See now if that would of been said to me in the first place there would of been no problems to begin with! An I did state i was a noob!! It's in my heading....

25. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Just throwing this out here, but I'm pretty sure this comment is what set things off. We live in an age where texting rules the world. I agree that if you come onto a place to look for help you should read what you wrote before hitting the send key.

Having said that, I'm gonna have to say that what Belvdr did in this quote wasn't very helpful. People come on the forums to get advice and not be belittled buy how they type.

Just my thoughts.