Ok I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jrrjbl, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jrrjbl macrumors newbie

Now that's out of the way. I am sitting here looking at one of the 2- 20/2.4 Imacs I bought. Beautiful but after 20 years of PCs I'm more than lost. I have searched everywhere for several hours with no luck on where to start.

Besides the Imacs, Fedex is delivering this morning the TC 500gb I also bought. Heck all in why not.

Here is the situation. My present dsl modem and old linksys router need to be replaced. Use Verizon and have a new Westell 6100 and will use the TC as the replacement router.

Problem is do I set up all the new equipment components first or turn on just the non connected Mac first and try to work the set up prompts? When I tried the latter, it is trying to connect to the internet which it can't.

Apple needs to come up with a "when you are changing everything in sight because you drank all the koolaid" 101 process.

Thanks

I

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I'm not familiar with the DSL setup process in Time Capsule, but you should be able to use a program called Airport Utility. Use Spotlight to find it.

I found this information in the setup guide, which you can find here:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/TimeCapsule_SetupGuide.pdf

It's also likely in the box that your Time Capsule came in.

Good luck.

PS: Don't get into the midset that 'everything is different on a Mac', because that will further confuse you. It's not really all that different. Go here http://www.apple.com/findouthow/macosx/ to see some tutorials on the basics of a Mac

PPS: Mods might want to move this to the appropriate section.

3. jrrjbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the try.

My effort was to explain an entire process process of which TC was a part.
    The solution was easy, now severals hours later. Just call the Tech Support.

What a great experience in customer service. Password issue required a reinstall for a known pre .2 issue. I thought with a PC head that I was just setting up a user name/password instead was logging into admin instead of second user. Simple work around was "Systems Administrator" as user name and the password. Then add the second account.

Since I couldn't even get into the Mac, I therefore couldn't get into the TC and install the utility disc. Tech support's last words were to call them back and they will gladly walk me through the process. Try that with Dell/Microsoft 'who's responsibility is it" game.

Happy guy right now

4. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I'm really glad you had a good experience. I used to work at an AppleCare center and Apple really treats their support staff well.

5. Darth Xena macrumors newbie

Hey if you ever need any quick assistance, my IM name is deedwarren and if I am online, I would be more than happy try to help you out. I remember being lost and new.

6. jrrjbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Darth

Thank you so much for the offer. LOST and NEW is more accurate. I spent the better part of the day trying to figure out how to download Firefox and T bird. Apple is so illogically logical. I think that after after a few weeks, changing my MS microsoft mindset will be easier.
    Every day brings some Holy s*&^% it can do this. Today's find, very much much by accident, push in scroll button and widgets appear. Outstanding.