Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longtallsally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Yes I am going to sound like a big ole idiot, but I'm missing a step. This is on an old 3g running 3.1.3 fw and baseband 5.11.07 that I'm obviously wanting to jailbreak and (most importantly) unlock.

I have done a SLEW of research and am just missing the boat along the line methinks.

So correct me if I'm wrong, the process should be to first jailbreak, and then unlock. However, before I even jailbreak, don't I need to save the .ipsw (I think this is the baseband?) first? Where does this, or does it, come into place with saving the SHSH blobs?

- I've saved (I think) the SHSH from the phone with Tiny Umbrella.

- I've downloaded Pwnage tool and started there

This is where I'm hung up. In order to create the custom .ipsw, I need to have one saved or created already, don't I? Well, when I do the Simple mode, it finds: iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117 and says it is for iPhone 3GS (I have a current 3GS also).

If I go to Expert mode, I need to have one saved already. And thus I don't know what to do to create, or save this. I've searched the hard drive for .ipsw files and get nothing, so I'm obviously missing something.

Sorry for the pathetically noob questions, but I've searched here and DevTeam sites extensively and can't seem to put all the pieces together.

longtallsally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
You need to click on "Expert Mode". Download a 3G 4.1 ipsw here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Then when it says to find an ipsw, look for the 4.1 you saved. Then go from there. Here's a guide to jailbreak your iPhone 3G on 4.1 using PwnageTool if you need more help. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12363

THIS is what I needed! Thanks! I've been on the iClarified site, but couldn't find a recent enough article, or the list of .ipsws, so I appreciate the requested nudge.

However, if I go to 4.1 with that .ipsw, can I still unlock? This is the most important bit for me as we're in Germany now and this is a US based phone that was originally activated and never jailbroken there.

Thanks again.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
THIS is what I needed! Thanks! I've been on the iClarified site, but couldn't find a recent enough article, or the list of .ipsws, so I appreciate the requested nudge.

However, if I go to 4.1 with that .ipsw, can I still unlock? This is the most important bit for me as we're in Germany now and this is a US based phone that was originally activated and never jailbroken there.

Thanks again.

Pwnage Tool strips the baseband update out of the IPSW by creating a custom restore IPSW so your baseband will stay at 5.11.xx (if that's what it is now) and it will Jailbreak your phone once you use iTunes to install it.

Remember to be able to browse to custom restore IPSW you need to hit option + restore for Mac or shift + restore for a PC. Don't accidentally choose the stock Apple IPSW or you will not be able to unlock.

longtallsally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Pwnage Tool strips the baseband update out of the IPSW by creating a custom restore IPSW so your baseband will stay at 5.11.xx (if that's what it is now) and it will Jailbreak your phone once you use iTunes to install it.

Remember to be able to browse to custom restore IPSW you need to hit option + restore for Mac or shift + restore for a PC. Don't accidentally choose the stock Apple IPSW or you will not be able to unlock.

And thus the final piece of the puzzle! You guys ROCK! I have to admit, I've seen both of you post a lot and are true icons of the site in helping out noobs like me! I knew the part of holding "option", but the last part I needed was knowing that the Pwnage Tool kept the latest baseband update out. The phone is currently on 5.11.07, so I should be sorted.

Thank you so very much!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
And thus the final piece of the puzzle! You guys ROCK! I have to admit, I've seen both of you post a lot and are true icons of the site in helping out noobs like me! I knew the part of holding "option", but the last part I needed was knowing that the Pwnage Tool kept the latest baseband update out. The phone is currently on 5.11.07, so I should be sorted.

Thank you so very much!

You're welcome:apple:

longtallsally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
And just to close this out, IT WORKED! I put in my German SIM from my German 3gs, and it works perfectly. Now I'm just going to play with it for a bit and do all the customization I've wanted to do for so long. I'll probably make it my primary phone for a bit, and if all seems well (which I'm sure it will be) I'll probably go ahead and do it to my 3gs.

We're heading over to Paris for Turkey Day and now we'll be able to get a local prepaid SIM and be able to use it at our leisure to help in finding stuff (really the purpose of the exercise).

Again, thank you very much!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
And just to close this out, IT WORKED! I put in my German SIM from my German 3gs, and it works perfectly. Now I'm just going to play with it for a bit and do all the customization I've wanted to do for so long. I'll probably make it my primary phone for a bit, and if all seems well (which I'm sure it will be) I'll probably go ahead and do it to my 3gs.

Again, thank you very much!

Great to here that. You're welcome:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.