Ok, I'm so frustrated I want to break something

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Communism, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Communism macrumors newbie

Communism

ok, so my iphone froze today, i couldnt punch in my passkey to login, so i hard reset it using home and sleep for 10 secs. ever since then i've had no service, i've power cycled, reset network settings, reset all settings, and i took it to my local at&t store (closest apple store is over 2 hours away) and i had full service at the store, but as soon as i got home, i dropped to no service, now no matter what i do again i can't get any service, whether i'm outside, inside or anywhere, i just did a full restore/reformat from itunes and it installed 3.0 for me and im having the same problem, i popped out my SIM and put it back in and that didnt help either. Now it's starting up and showing service, but when i try to make a call or text, it drops to no service.

do i just need to take it to an apple store? i was hoping to avoid that. i've only had the phone for about 6 months. and it's my only phone so i need it working ASAP, i basically run a small graphic design business through it and i am expecting an important call sometime tomorrow, so i need it fixed soon =(

PLEASE HELP ME =(

PS - it's a 16gb white 3G

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

It does not sound like a real hardware problem at this point. If it works just fine in the AT&T Store, then it sounds like you have a cell tower offline near your location. Have you called Customer Care to see if there are any local outages?

Go back to the AT&T Store parking lot and see if you get great service again, then just find a Starbucks near by and work from there.

Dave

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

If the phone was working at an AT&T store and then you said it briefly came up while at home, it leads me to believe AT&T is having some problems out in your area with a cell tower or some other technical issue..

You may want to give them a buzz..

4. funrush macrumors regular

IF you restore be sure to set it up as a new phone, do not restore from backup (pain in the ass, I know).

Have you been screwing around with your ipcc file?

Download officiall AT&T ipcc (use firefox):

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...erBundles/061-4732.20090203.gj3ef/ATT_US.ipcc

Copy 'n' Past in terminal:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
    Launch iTunes > ALT + Click "Restore" > select official AT&T ipcc file. Reboot iPhone.

Maybe you already did this, just trying to help…

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You might want to check other people on your network and their signal/. other iphone users in the area... And definitely call your carrier for any updates/routine/scheduled maintenance/upgrades - it's likelkly to be happening as most carriers upgrade their network in various areas.

6. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Take it back to the Apple store, say its overheating. Instant replacement.

7. jontucker macrumors 6502

That was my first thought too....

8. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

just got off the phone with them and they said theres a software issue with a tower. would that really effect my service that bad?

just wondering, im not sure how the tower software works. haha

no, i dont really mess with my phone that much, just use it for calls and texts and whatnot

i'm the only person that i know that has at&t in my area. i dont talk to many of my neighbors and the ones i do all have sprint

and i did set it up as a new phone when i fully formatted... same problem =/

9. MaroW macrumors member

could be the simcard too... but.. you aint got an old mobile phone laying around? you could try with that...

10. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

it's still now working =(

im so frustrated, i just dont know what to do anymore.

i suppose i'm going to make a trip to the apple store tomorrow, even though its 2 hours away, lol =D

if anyone else has any ideas, please tell me =(

11. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Try toggling air plane mode off and on a few times.
    That will search for a better signal.

12. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

It most likely isn't your phone if it's getting service in other areas. If there is trouble with a tower, I'd say it would most definitely affect your service. Wait a while and call AT&T back to see if there are still issues in the area. I wouldn't take the 2 hour trip unless I really had to.

13. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

tried the airplane mode a few times and got nothing

my signal keeps being strange when im outside, it'll jump to 5 bars then when i try to call, it drops to no service.

and idk how long it takes to fix a signal tower, i desperately need my phone, it's my only means of communication with my family and work.

if i dont have service tomorrow i have to get it fixed and the at&t store said to go to the apple store and get it replaced.

at&t said it would only be a few hours till the tower was fixed, and it's been almost 9 hours now =/

i'm just really frustrated

14. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

one more shameless bump, i really need to solve this problem =(

15. omni macrumors 6502

There is no problem to solve. Take a deep breath and get some sleep. More than likely AT&T will have the tower fixed by tomorrow. Stop freaking out, it's just a phone (gasp I know) and you will be fine

16. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

yeah, you're right. i'll calm down. thanks a ton everyone =) if its not fixed...

it'll be posted here, lol

17. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Go down to wal mart/target/walgreens/ etc etc...Pick up a $20 Nokia 2610 go phone.

Put your sim in that. If your iphone is bad, the nokia will work obviously. You are now connected to the outside world again and need to get your iphone fixed.

If the nokia, which gets excellent reception btw, also has no signal, then you need to calm down, sit your butt at home and call at&t. Apple cant do anything for you.

You should always have a backup phone/phones for times just like this.

18. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

quick update:

switched SIM saturday, still nothing

went to best buy today (bought it there and the plan they offer for it, im a sucker for damage coverage) and they replaced my 3G with a 3GS and i'm beyond happy, works amazingly and i'm enthralled, no extra cost, nothing.

AWESOME! :apple:

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm glad you got the results you wanted, but when any carrier is having problems with their network there isn't much you can do. With that said, if the outage is 3G then you might be able to go back to Edge and make calls.

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

They upgraded you to a 3G S at no cost? That's amazing. Congratulations to you... It cost me $418 to upgrade. It was definitely worth it though!

For future reference, if you EVER have an issue with your signal calling customer service will do you no good. If they can't come up with a definitive answer to your dilemma, they'll tell you there's outages in the area.

Example: When I called in the night of the day I got my 3G S (almost 12 hours after plugging into iTunes for activation and still no service), they told me there was outages in my area and to just sit tight until morning when they'll more than likely have it fixed. I held back from telling her she was full of it because I was talking to her on my girlfriend's 3G that had a full five bars of service.

21. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

Wow congratulations!