OK, I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kenglade, Aug 22, 2009.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

I switched from PC to Mac about six months ago and have had no problems until now. When I started I set myself up as the administrator. Now I'm trying to install a new printer. When i click on one of the new printer files I'm told i have to log in as administrator to open the file.

How the heck do I do that?

I go to accounts and click on my name as admin but I get a screen inviting me to change my password, sign up with Mobile me or use Parental Controls. I don't want to do any of that.

I can't find anything on logging in as admin on the Mac help files or in Pogue's book.

Why is this so dang confusing?

I'm running Mac Leopard on a G5.

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Well seeings as you are the admin I reckon your dealing with a crappily made installer :p

This is strange...

I suppose you could make a new admin account and try installing it on there.

I also recommend for security reasons that you use your main account as a limited user and only log on to an administrator when you need to install software. That way if anything trys to make root changes it will ask for a password.

-Omi

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Canon PIXMA Pro9000

5. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Omi.

Nothing is simple anymore with security. Everytime I have to go through TSA my stomach knots up and my blood pressure rises.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a pretty recent one, right? Are you getting drivers off the net or off a CD that came with it? Sometimes, they send out older drivers on disc -- usually I make a practice of trying to download them off their website instead of using the discs they send. Might be worth a try.

Also it looks like there are separate drivers for Leopard vs. Panther/Tiger, so make sure you get the right ones....

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

easiest thing to do would be to reinstall the drivers for "All Users" not just current or admin.

9. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

It's older than the current one (pro9000 Mark II) but only a couple years old. It isn't th driver (which came off the Canon site) I'm having a problem with but a print software porgram. The driver installed okay but I acan't get into the printer open my options (e.g., align print head).

The printer is a hand-me-down from my daughter, who so far has not been able to find the installation disk. Cannon, however, says all the files I need are on the website.

10. devburke Guest

Wait, I just want to make sure of one thing.

Does it say you have to be logged in as an administrator, or does it ask for an administrator password? Cuz there are a lot of times when, even if you're signed in as an admin, you have to type in the admin password (this is to prevent things like programs installing themselves).

I'm sorry if that's a dumb question, keep in mind that I don't know whether you're an expert, complete noob, or somewhere in between.

11. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

When I try to open the file Easy-PhotoPrint installerI get a message saying "You must be logged in as administrator to open this software. Log in as administrator and tray (sic) again)."