OK, iPhone 5s experts: how to save cellular data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlaskaMoose, Sep 24, 2014.

1. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Lets say that I turn off "Cellurar" in the settings screen. Should that be enough for the iPhone to stop using time of the cellular data, or should I have to turn all the apps that use cellular data?

I don't need to use any of the very small amount of time of my data plan since I am always at work or home where I use Wi-Fi. Well, maybe I would use the GPS a couple of times a year :)

My wife and I have 2 iPhones with the minimum data possible (around 500MB shared, I believe). Anyway, we just text and voice with the iPhones since we got tired of the very small screens and keyboards of our old "dumb" phones.

2. fdg46 macrumors newbie

If you turn off data via the Settings, it will disable it for all apps as well. No need to go through them individually.

Also one thing to note is that if you turn off all data this way, it will prevent you from sending/receiving MMS, which includes group texts (not iMessage) and pictures sent through text messages (not iMessage). Just FYI. Everything else still works through Wi-Fi I believe.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

In addition to turning off cellular data, a lot of the time you can ask your carrier to send you a text when you are about to reach your threshold for the month.

There's also apps in the app store that can count the amount of data you have used in the background and give you a notification when you are getting close to said limit.