OK is 10.14.4 laggy for anyone else?

c47v3770

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
I recently bought a 2014 Mac Mini and the UI is laggy. I had a 'hackintosh' before and the experience was smooth overall. Are the graphics in the 2014 Mini underpowered for Mojave? Anyone else seeing lag during window/menu transitions? I even disabled dark mode..

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
What kind of DRIVE do you have inside the iMac?
That can make a HUGE difference in overall performance.

allanmulwee

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
Yes I have seen lots of that among other issues with Mojave. You can try reinstalling it but I have been wiping the drive and starting over when I seen this (I work on Macs)

c47v3770

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
Yes I have seen lots of that among other issues with Mojave. You can try reinstalling it but I have been wiping the drive and starting over when I seen this (I work on Macs)
I cleaned installed Mojave after I received the Mini. No luck really. Hope the next update fixes it.

allanmulwee

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
Clean install is a good idea. I had to do the same to my 2014 Mini. But first wait a couple of days for the new installation to complete its housekeeping.
Interesting. A couple of days? Wow
[doublepost=1554920741][/doublepost]Yeah thing is I have seen this about 10 or 15 times the last few months. Most of the time when they get to the shop the install is a few days old.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
seriously, before you do it all over, try the combo updater:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1996?locale=en_US

back everything up (a precaution), then run this; it will write over the installed OS, and shouldn't delete any of your files.

10.14.4 is rocking on my imac. what's the processor, and how much ram do you have? you can also try resetting the nvram, and the smc on your mini (google for the correct procedure).

good luck!

Reactions: allanmulwee

c47v3770

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
seriously, before you do it all over, try the combo updater:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1996?locale=en_US

back everything up (a precaution), then run this; it will write over the installed OS, and shouldn't delete any of your files.

10.14.4 is rocking on my imac. what's the processor, and how much ram do you have? you can also try resetting the nvram, and the smc on your mini (google for the correct procedure).

good luck!
Will give it a try, thanks. i5 2.8 Ghz, 8GB RAM. Reset the nvram but didn't seem to help.

Wally©

macrumors member
May 2, 2015
Belgium
I must say...I've had far less 'beach balling' since the last update and I'm experiencing a much more stable late 2013 iMac with 1Tb drive...(8 GB ram)
But I do wonder why FileVault is suddenly messing with my Time Machine back-ups...
It seems to be encrypting a drive...yet is not...nor has it been ever enabled...
The back-ups resume whenever FileVault has done its thing...whatever that may be...