OK, it's time for Flash and other plug-ins

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Ya know, sometimes you just need Flash on your darn mobile phone. I needed it today when trying to find where I could ship a package via FedEx. Their site, just like millions of other popular ones, uses Flash or something else lacking on the iPhone to do about anything. They're not going to change this just for mobile users, so it's up to the hardware end (Apple) to let it be.

Apple needs to allow plug-ins to Safari. Flash is the most obvious one, but Silverlight will start to gain ground before too long. There are others that I can't think up off the top of my head, but Apple should start working with the developers to embed them in Safari.

The obvious thing you're thinking is "what about battery life and performance?" Well, simple (for me to say). Put an On/Off switch in the settings. They do it for 3G for battery life, so you can do it for other plug-ins. Apple would have to develop this into the Safari in the firmware, but gosh darnit it can be done. If you want more battery life, fine. If you want plug-ins, fine. Give us an On/Off toggle and let us choose.

I assure you that some of those apps we download (especially games) can drain a battery faster than a good portion of Flash-based Web sites.

2. iblastoff macrumors 6502

hey genius

http://fedex.com/iphone

and not sure what you're talking about but tons of websites are gearing up for mobile-ready versions of their site if not already (for ex. fedex)