ok I've read all the talk on the new 17"MBP. SO....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by motobonsai, Apr 6, 2009.

1. motobonsai macrumors newbie

So what is the consensus? I want to buy it very badly. But I have read some bad stuff here like the screen flicker issue. Is the MBP just not worth it at this time?

2. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I have had my 17" MBP for a few weeks, now. To date, I have experienced non of the issues, which I have read about. Personally, this is the best notebook that I have ever owned, regardless of the platform. I'll add that my older Apple notebooks are the only ones which are still in regular use, today.

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Just buy it, I own one and my wife wants it so I have brought another for my self. I love it battery life is fantastic and I take it everywhere with me.

4. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

On forums you will mainly get the people who have issues with their computers. I think you should get it... if your unhappy with it you get 14 days to refund it anyway.

5. Blaker macrumors newbie

I have had a few issues but is by far the best computer I have ever owned.

6. Touchy macrumors regular

I am also about to order the 17" MBP based primarily on the screen resolution of the 17" vs the 15" which IMO (really not worth much as I am not technically proficient) should be better. Am I correct is this assumption or is the lesser resolution with the smaller screen equal to the larger screen? Hope I am making myself clear with this question.
    Also, I wonder if there is any opinion on the forum regarding the HDD vs the solid state drive aside from the smaller size of the solid state drive?
    Thanks for any advice.

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

Best laptop I've ever owned, and yes most of the people who come to these forums are here to find out about issue they are having. However there are thousands of people happily using their new 17" UBMP with no issues and simply don't visit forums like this.

8. philips macrumors regular

philips

My UMBP17" (matte, SSD 256GB, AppleCare) runs fine.

I wasn't stress testing it - just usual things I usually do on laptops and the laptop was bought for: Aperture, movie viewing, front row, surfing, etc. Compact and portable workstation with big screen.

Pretty happier with the purchase. The best 17" laptop I have ever seen or owned to date.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

TIP about online communities...

I'd say about 80% of the threads here are from people who's purchased one and experienced some issues with their machine but this could only account for 2~3% of the total users. Most people not experiencing hardware issues, don't make complaints. Instead they ask questions for help and advise on software usage.

Apple does offer a satisfaction guarantee, where they give you 14day to report faults, have your machine exchanged and/or refunded, should you change your mind. So go ahead, take one.. and see how it goes. But if the sh%t hits the fan! You can always refund it... right?

10. magamo macrumors 6502

I've been using my 17" UMBP for a few weeks and have had no issues.

The difference in responsiveness is definitely noticeable if you choose a decent SSD. I swapped the HDD that came with my MBP for X25-M, and now my machine is amazingly snappy, and dead silent too. I can't go back to HDD.

11. decsramble macrumors newbie

I got one 3 weeks ago and love it. I got the standard configuration from a reseller. I havent had any problems yet, fingers crossed. It's my first mac and other than a little time getting used to the differences between windows and mac it's been smooth. Actually the only problem I had was getting the ethernet adapter to work with my router, I had a moment of worry when I thought the ethernet adapter might not work at all but then I found the correct settings. MacOSX is my main OS and vista in bootcamp, spent sometime playing games in Vista and while it runs hotter than OSX I havent seen any problems or flickering.

So, after 3 weeks, no regrets and no problems.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No system is perfect. Therefore, we cannot guarantee your system will have no flaws until you buy it.