Ok, I've screwed up... (Synergy server on Vista, client on MBP)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by odinsride, Apr 23, 2008.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

So I installed Synergy server on my Vista machine, and client on my MBP. To get this software to autostart, I had to create a Login Hook on my MBP, and I accidentally set it to run Synergy in the foreground. What this has done has basically screwed my ability to login to my MBP.

I have tried booting into my System disk, going to terminal, and changing the file (I know how to fix the problem). But the error I'm getting is -bash: vi: command not found

So where is vim stored, and why can't I run it from the System disc Terminal window?

2. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Try ls'ing /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin. See if you can't find anything in there. Also, try using the full path name if you can see vi in those folders, but can't get it to execute, i.e. /usr/bin/vi

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

On my machine vim is installed at /usr/bin/vim. But the System Restore disk only has a limited set of tools. I imagine vim is not one of them but good old traditional vi might well be.

4. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Found under /Volumes/MacHD/usr/bin...problem solved

Thanks all

5. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Good thinking, it may not be on your restore disk, but of course it's on the system drive.