OK, mac is great and all but...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr. MacBook, May 28, 2007.

1. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

i decided to watch a little video. A thing opens up untitled. i wait around 10 seconds only to have some message coming that says

Safari cannot find the internet plugin

The page has content of MIME type "video/divx". Because you don't have a plugin installed for this MIME type, this content can't be displayed.

I'm on a MacBook 1.83GHz Core Duo, 1.25GB ram and running mac osx 10.4.9.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Download and install Perian. If you don't have it already, you'll probably eventually want Flip4Mac also.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

4. Mr. MacBook thread starter macrumors 6502

...nothing.

I'm on a site called tv-links.co.uk... it opens a window when you click on a link and just stays blank.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I'm the first to jump to the mac's defense, and having used both for extended periods of time (i'm typing this on a piece of craptop using xp, don't ask), I dislike my Windows time. However, you would think Apple would jump to make sure those issues do not come up with the frequency that they seem to appear. Yeah, it's a simple matter to find/download plugins, but really, can't that be covered in updates? Is it a licensing issue? Color me stupid, but there should be an easier (read: seamless) way.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

This is a flash video item so try downloading flash. It isn't working for me but it is flash.

7. Mr. MacBook thread starter macrumors 6502

oh boy great now it just crashes safari when i click on the link.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just managed to get a video up myself, there is a long wait (2 minutes) on the blank whitescreen though so maybe it is just a slow loading issue, I was about 10 seconds from closing it)

If that doesn't work then restart Safari, you may need to log out and log back in again.

spork183 i do believe it is a licensing issue.

9. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Tried Firefox? It doesn't work for me in Opera but opening it in Firefox prompts the download of the relevant plug-in.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For a reason that's not obvious to me, the DivX files on that site don't seem to work (when they work at all) with the Perian DivX plugin and Quicktime. They do seem to work with the DivX Web Player and Firefox, even though the player and Safari are supposed to be compatible. I'm not 100% clear on what the issue is. That site even occasionally crashes Firefox.

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Ever consider that many people do not want all of that installed? Welcome to the world of computing. Installing/Updating drivers, codecs, pulgins, etc is the way things are currently being done. If you think this is inconvenient, it is a good thing you were not around before the internet. And, do not look at this as an 'Apple' issue. It is the same for everyone. The first thing I do when installing anything, is go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest driver and whatever. This is SOP in a professional IT environment.

12. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

If you were to look at the numbers who don't want it installed, vs the numbers who would like it to be seamless, I think the seamless masses would win. I was using computers long before the internet (long being a relative term...). Before the internet, the content wasn't widely available, so most people didn't try/weren't aware of what was available. The people who don't want the functionality, probably won't be any where the functionality would be useful.

I know this an issue across the board, not an Apple issue. My point was Apple focuses so clearly on ease of use, and this is an ease of use issue. Downloading the latest drivers (and OS updates) is SOP in any environment where the user has any knowledge at all.

13. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Works a treat here...

I have the following codecs installed in /Library/QuickTime:

DivX Decoder.component v6.2.2 by Divx, Inc.
    DivX Encoder.component v6.2.2 by Divx, Inc.
    Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component v2.1.1.70 by Telestream, Inc.
    Flip4Mac WMV Export.component v2.1.1.70 by Telestream, Inc.
    Flip4Mac WMV Import.component v2.1.1.70 by Telestream, Inc.
    AC3 Component.component v1.0

I've saved the page generated by Safari using Help > Installed Plug-ins here which will list the plugins I have installed for Safari.

edit: ignore the link above -- it looks like it'll just generate a list of the plugins on your machine via some javascript trickery -- give me a minute or two to save the actual list of my plugins!

edit 2: here's a PDF of the page showing my list of installed plugins.

Basically, all I've done is grabbed the Mac versions of the usual plugins from divx.com and flip4mac.com. I don't believe I've changed the version of Flash installed with the OS.

I'm running a MacBook Pro with OS X v10.4.9

edit 3: Although Apple do indeed bundle Flash (many websites would be virtually naked without it), I wouldn't expect them to bundle video codecs beyond those they develop themselves. Purely because that's a lot of code they don't get to do QA on which might not be suitable for bundling. Microsoft take exactly the same approach with Windows. Apple could make acquiring the correct codecs a little easier and, to their credit, they've finally updated the Quicktime Components page with links to common codecs such as DivX and Xvid.

Oh, and by the way, that tv-links site is very, very slow even to load static pages... some patience might be in order!

Attached Files:

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I've never even been to any web site hosting videos in DivX format. Everything I ever run into is QuickTime, Windows Media, or Flash...

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Same here...I resort to FF...

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, can I ask you to try again? This is confusing... the site runs more than one kind of video stream. Many of them are Flash / Youtube, but others are DivX. Look around at some others. Try the pilot for Lost -- I'm pretty sure it was DivX and would not play reliably for me in Safari. I don't think that the one you looked at was DivX.

17. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Yuck. You're right! I tried about 4 or 5 -- guess I just happened to hit non-DivX videos every time!

Looking at Safari's crashlog, it quite clearly points to the DivX plugin faulting. The DivX.com people are pretty responsive to Mac users - I'll send them an email with the link and the crashlog. Updates are pretty frequent, so fingers-crossed for a fix soon!

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just an update... after having the suggestion to uninstall and re-install the latest version, I never heard back from the DivX team. I've been playing around with the DivX web player some in Firefox. I find this app very squirrely. When I use the tv-links.co.uk website (I know, I know)... I get the following strange behavior in the latest Firefox 2.0.x build:

- Inconsistently, when the divx web player is made fullscreen, it will not hide Firefox windows, so that the menu bar and dock will disappear, but the firefox windows, including the one the windowed web player plugin was in, will continue to be visible in front of it. When this happens, it cannot be fixed by coming back to windowed mode and going back again -- the window has to be closed and a new window with a new instance of the player must be opened. Hiding Firefox causes the full-screen video to also hide. Only workaround seems to be to minimize the firefox windows. Hitting escape still kills the fullscreen so that you can get the dock back, to unminimize them. This happens about 30-50% of the time.

- Sometimes, Firefox stops responding to keyboard input in some / all windows, and has funny focusing behavior -- e.g. a window will not come into focus if one clicks interior to the window, but only comes into focus if one clicks on the title bar. Typically when this happens keyboard shortcuts like apple-w do not work. This happens about 10-20% of the time.

- Firefox crashes completely on a fairly regular basis using this plugin -- also something like maybe 10-20% of the time. When crashes occur, they typically occur during initialization of the plugin.

The rest of the time, the plugin produces gorgeous fullscreen video at DVD quality on my iMac....

19. dubels macrumors 6502

havin the same problem with safari and opera except opera would work from time to time.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You need to install the DivX web player.

You might find Camino works better than Firefox.

21. Kristofer macrumors member

I only use firefox, never safari, and it plays everything.