Ok my BIG decision for next Computer(s)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eva01, May 4, 2005.

  1. eva01 macrumors 601


    Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Ok here is what i have come up with all by my lonesome so far

    I am selling my current powerbook to my friend for 800 dollars.

    So i am trying to decide on what to get for my next big purchase come September Octoberish maybe a bit later depending if i want to get another powerbook or not (depends on when next MAJOR revision of them comes out).

    1)First choice is a Dual 2.0 G5 (or whatever is the baseline dual proc PM when i buy) and a baseline iBook That total comes to about 3045 so when i take away the 800 for this computer, that makes it 2245. I would buy a dinky monitor for the G5 at first then get a Dell or ACD when i replenish my money

    2)Second choice get a 15" powerbook with 128 VRAM no superdrive (since next computer would have one (first off do you think the price of the powerbooks will increase when they become G5???) With the middle iMac. That comes to 3453, then take away the 800 comes to 2653 (more expensive than choice one, but i am in love with powerbooks)

    3)Third choice get a 15" powerbook, with 128 VRAM with a 23" cinema display. comes to 3488 minus the 800 makes it 2688.

    4) Fourth choice get a 17" powerbook maxed out with RAM comes to 3164 take away the 800 makes it 2364

    5) Just buy a 15" powerbook with 128 VRAM with no cinema display for 2279 minus the 800 makes it 1479 (so i don't have to spend so much money so i can spend it on other things, like the girlfriends laptop in the future)

    This is assuming that the powerbooks when they do infact go G5 stay at the same price tag.

    Thank-you for all your inputs

    PS no i do not want an eMac
  2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816


    Mar 1, 2005
    id go with the number 5 choice. a 17in pb is huge and kinda defeats the whole travel/portable aspect of a notebook. and yes the g5 notebooks will be at least a few hundred more than the current i and pb books. how could they not be :confused:
  3. Mord macrumors G4


    Aug 24, 2003
  4. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601


    Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    One thing to note thou, there is a 85-90% chance that i will buy this in store in boston so as to haggle for free RAM or other things.

    Keep those suggestions coming

    thank-you for the suggestions thus far ^^
  5. atari1356 macrumors 68000


    Feb 27, 2004
    What are you going to use the computer(s) for?

    There's an advantage to having just one computer (like a 15" or 17" laptop), so all of your files are in one place. Using an external monitor with a PowerBook is definitely a viable option... that is, if it's powerful enough for what you need to do.

    If you need the power, grab the Dual 2.0 desktop.

    Here's another option you didn't list: keep your current PowerBook, and buy a 20" iMac G5 as your second machine.
  6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

    Jan 23, 2005
    If you are willing to spend 3000+ I reccomend a PowerBook 12", iMac 17" G5 and a Dell Monitor with DVI and VGA.

    You get a portable, great 12" powerbook and when its home you can hook it up via DVI to the dell for a dual screen book, AND since iMacs support screen mirroring in VGA, hook up the VGA to the dell and download a patch (WARNING: NEW iMACS DONT HAVE PATCH YET!) that allows you to have dual screen...
  7. miloblithe macrumors 68020


    Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    By September/October or later Apple's portable line will at least be updated and possibly quite different. As much fun as it is to speculate, really you are waiting and seeing.

    That said, I'd go for a powerful desktop and a 12" portable.
  8. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601


    Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I plan on using the computer(s) for school stuff (biology pre-medical concentration) For webdesign, images.

    And i really want to get Motion 2 (which is why i have the option for the dual 2 G5)

    I want the computer(s) i get to last me a good 5-6 years (basically till i graduate medical school). The powerbook i have now has lasted i think 2 years can't remember, but it is starting to lag in some things.

    and yes i know the portables are going to change, that is why i am waiting so long, i could just sell this powerbook right now and get the computer(s) now but i want to wait a while till the next major revision of the powerbooks.

Share This Page