Ok my Stacks lock up/freeze in grid mode not list. graphics card?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by esquire360, May 18, 2010.

1. esquire360 macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Pro that is experiencing some funky action. When I'm in the dock and over a stack if the stack is set to grid mode it will freeze usually on the first click. If I wait about a minute it will unfreeze.

Now if that stack is in list mode I can click on it all day long and it doesn't freeze.

I was thinking that maybe it was the NVIDIA 8600m GT graphics card that was causing the problem. Does anybody else have any thoughts on this?

I have shut down all background programs so it doesn't seem that an auxiliary program is causing the problem.

Thanks guys

***UPDATE***
    Ok it did the freeze in list also. Could it be the graphics card? MOBO Have run tech tools & rember no issues (once the video failed in TT but not again)

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

corrupt plist?
    Move it to your Desktop.
    Restart. That will create a new default plist file.
    If all is well, Trash the plist from the Desktop.
    You'll have to redo any settings that you changed in the Dock Pref pane.

3. esquire360 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok it did the freeze in list also. Could it be the graphics card? MOBO Have run tech tools & rember no issues (once the video failed in TT but not again)

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm assuming that you mean it still does it after moving that file and restarting. Next: log in under a different user account. If you don't have another one, make one first in System Preferences > Accounts.

5. esquire360 thread starter macrumors regular

Great idea, Did that still does it. The compy hangs for 30 seconds then starts responding again... video card? mobo? stack trigger the hang in like 4 or 5 clicks.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...maybe. How old is it? under warranty? Take it to Apple Store and have 'em look at it. ??

7. esquire360 thread starter macrumors regular

Its out of warrenty was fixing it for a client and trying to track down the issue... thought other might have seen this issue was hoping it was one of the faulty nvidia cards instead of having to do a mobo replacement.

I have tried diff ram also anyone else? It's whacked how you can browes the webno issues but click on grid stacks 2 times bang lock up.