Ok, noob alert. Can someone PLEASE explain this to me.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xenotaku, Oct 11, 2007.

1. xenotaku macrumors regular

What is the difference between MacTheRipper, and Handbrake?

1. I have been using handbrake to backup DVDs to watch on my laptop and my ipod. Is that its more useful purpose?

2. If so, what is the point of handbrake? Is it to make a direct copy of a dvd, so I can one day burn it to a dvd-r if I loose my copy? And if programs like matinee can play files ripped using MacTheRipper, what is the point of Handbrake?

3. I use Front Row to access the media I rip using handbrake. Will front row be able to access stuff if I rip it using MacTheRipper?

4. Lastly, but not leastly, what is the best "preset" to rip movies using handbrake other than Bedlam, which is insanely slow? I have been using quicktime...the quality is 7/10.

thanks soooo much. I know these are noobish questions. I have been using a mac for years, but only recently started backing up my DVD collection for portable viewing on my apple devices.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

MacTheRipper

Protected DVD Content -> Unprotected

Handbrake

Protected DVD Content -> MPEG-4/h.264

I wouldn't consider Handbrake to be a backup of your DVD.

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I use Mac The Ripper for making copies of DVDs for burning onto DVDRs or to watch from my HDD at a later date (I'll rent a movie, rip it to my Powerbook and watch it on the plane or at my hotel for example)

I use Handbrake for ripping DVDs for my iPod only.