Mobile OSs Ok, now this is creepy

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Fernandez21, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

So for some reason after doing a google search I saw the link at the bottom to see my account and in it my search history, so I decided to take a look, expecting to see a history of my google searches and maybe YouTube. But what I found was that it also included everything I did on my android phone (S7). It shows what apps I'm using and when I uses them. Now this is creepy.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I don't see how it is, beyond the fact that other companies don't let you see it. Even Apple does this, otherwise they wouldn't know how many people use Pro apps on their Macs.

3. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

4. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

5. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

This is the kind of thing I would assume they track. Like ignorance is bliss. But seeing it does seem a little creepy.

6. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Seems like the only way that anyone is going to be able to protect her privacy anymore is to stop using cell phones and go back to land lines.

And with the current administration relaxing regulation and taking away net neutrality we are all open season.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have an app on my Note 5 that tells how many times I plugged in the charger, used headphones and used the S Pen. Those are just the things this particular app has access too. Phones keep track of just about anything you do on them.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Has anyone seen Dark Net on Showtime, season 2 premier? They was talking about how all this info is going straight to the R&D of A.I.

9. I7guy macrumors G5

10. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Are your serious?

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Totally. You going to assume something that can't be proved any which way?

12. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Did you have a good experience with R E Michel company?

:p

13. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I'm going to assume something that makes sense. Apple referred to it as an average, meaning it isn't just somebody who they contacted and threw an app on their phone. And take a look at the vague wording of the analytics they gather.

IMG_0170.PNG

14. I7guy macrumors G5

What makes sense is people participating in a study unless this is the differential analysis at work.

15. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

If people participated in a study, they would have mentioned that.

You're just burying you head in the sand because it's Apple.

16. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I guess the creepy thing is that I was able to access this info on my iPhone logged into my google account. I get that my phones will keep an internal log of everything I do, but I always assumed that much like my computer, all that info stays on the phone and only if I authorize to send the log will some other party get access. The fact that action by action is sent out to Google who then stores it is kind of creepy.

17. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Not even Apple keeps app usage on the device.

18. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I understand your concerns on this, honestly. I have an Android phone myself. When I first discovered my device usage page (like the screenshots you posted above) it shocked me a bit. I didn't think that individual actions such as opening apps or using Google Assistant would be tracked and written down.

I guess it's just weird to actually see your usage habits visualized, which is probably what takes the biggest adjustment. Mine and your usage habits on many of our devices and websites are all tracked and then put into analytics, charts, graphs, etc. It happens all the time. We just never see it visualized so we don't think anything of it. Except, in this particular case, you DO get to see it, so it seems creepy. Know what I mean?

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

It also explains why Siri sucks as an AI, while Google Assistant is so good.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. It's night and day difference with how good Google Assistant is and how far behind Siri is. Make sense in certain areas where Google collectively gathers data.

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Tim Cook did say at some point or another that we consumers have no idea what kind of information gets logged about us and stored goodness knows where. He seemed creeped out at the idea so I don't think Apple does this to the degree that Google does.

It would not shock me to find out our intelligence agencies are involved somehow. The minutiae of so many relatively insignificant people would not be interesting to them, but that of targeted individuals would be.

For revenue generating purposes, we are all special and beloved and all our data is treasured. :p

22. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

Just checked mine, it seems you have to authorize it. There is not a single sign of an app I have opened, all its done is track my links opened in Chrome, YouTube and Searches, as well as my usage of Google Advertising tools like AdWords, Analytics, Search Console and DoubleClick Search.

23. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I'll look into it tomorrow to see how to opt out.

I don't mind them knowing my search history, YouTube history, or even map searches because I'm using their service to find something so obviously that'll be stored and shown. But them logging when I use my alarm clock or take a picture is a little too much for me.

24. macfacts, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017

macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Settings -> Google -> personal info & privacy -> activity controls -> web & app activity -> off
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2017 ---
    (App usage)
    Ios settings -> privacy -> diagnostics and usage -> automatically send

(Gps tracking)
    Ios settings -> privacy -> location services -> system services -> frequent locations

"Find my iphone" will send Apple your location periodically and before it powers down.

^- looks like Apple does the same.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

The flip side, is you're just assuming that unconsented data collection is happening, when it could be very well consented.