OK, question about AT&T/subsidy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tangledweb16, Jul 29, 2008.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

OK, so I am currently on a two year contract with AT&T, which I signed after my first gen. iPhone was stolen. Obviously I'm not eligible for a subsidized phone (iPhone or otherwise) for another year and a half, as I signed the contract this year.

As I want an 8 gig, I've been prepared to pay the $399 price, but then I realized that I could actually save money by canceling my current contract early (a 175 fee) and then getting the 8 gig for the subsidized price of $199. Will this work? Or am I overlooking something? Because it seems to me that this is a better deal that paying the $399. Yes? No? Any input is appreciated.

2. xerostyles macrumors newbie

3. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Actually, yes. My main reason being that my credit card has a limit of 300$ ( as I don't use it much and like to be able to pay it down easily), so I won't have to apply for a credit raise if i do this.

Also, I'm a student and every dollar saved helps. More ramen!

But.... this will work, right? I've read over everything and it seems like it will. I just don't want to get in the store and realize that I overlooked something.

Also, how hard is it to terminate a contract early? Is it a long or short process?

And finally, to those people who may say "if you're a student and you really need to save 25 bucks maybe you should prioritize more" and the like, I say that I have my priorities, and my reasons. Thanks again.

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I would do it for the $24. Just keep in mind that when/if you cancel and purchase the subsidized phone you will extend the contract for two years on the date of the purchase. You may also have to wait until iPhones are in stock regularly so you won't be without a phone for a little while.

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You'll need to find out if you can keep your number.
    If you cancel your account, won't your number go up for grabs?

6. Kupe macrumors member

That is the normal result of a canceled account.

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

$$$

As a frugal married man, I never throw money away. $24 is $24! Save all the $ you can!

8. TonyMil macrumors member

If the iPhone is still listed on your account you should be able to upgrade for the sub price. Check with AT&T to be safe.

Although I renewed earlier this year I have been told because there is an iPhone (1st gen) on my account I can get the sub price for a new one.

9. ElecEagle macrumors member

There is a 90-day waiting period after cancellation before you can open another account.

10. mkoesel macrumors regular

As pointed out, you'll lose your number.

Also, isn't the difference actually $25? Don't cheat yourself out of the extra bag or two of ramen!

11. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yet you have 2 Macs, 2 iPhones and an iPod :D lol

12. xerostyles macrumors newbie

Well then!

You just need to worry about losing your number. If you cancel your line before starting a new one, you will lose it.

13. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Damn.... didn't think of that.

Looks like I'll be paying the $399. That is the unsubsidized price, right? I can't seem to find any information about that anywhere.

And I'm gonna keep this one on me at all times. It will not get stolen again, short of a stabbing/shooting/entire gang of guys beating down on me.

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Buddy, you should reevaluate your priorities...

15. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Ha! No.... I cannot tell you how pissed I was when my original got stolen.

I just hate the kind of people that do that. To this very day I get pissed off just thinking about whoever stole my original iPhone.

16. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

$$$

Unfortunately it's worse than that. My wife has an iPhone too and the kids have iPods. Probably going to activate my old iPhones for them. Probably why I am looking to save as many $$$ as I can! LOL!!! :D

But who can blame me for having so many Apple products??? They are the best!