Ok seriously how do you use iphone with one hand now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Sep 21, 2014.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I got the 6 not even the plus and I'm struggling. I need help.

Reach ability helps if you are trying to reach a top row of a table or something like that.

What it can't do is:

- touch a banner
    - slide down to get to Notification Center
    - tap the top status bar to scroll to the top
    It's also that some apps you can't swipe to go back a screen and now you have to double tap the home button each time you want to go back.

Ok so what is the solution? I don't think it's reasonable to ask the user to use two hands for such common tasks.

2. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Yup.

----------

I just tried all of them except the notification banner and they all worked fine. I have no doubt that the banner would work as well.

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Ok seriously how do you use iphone with one hand now?

With reach ability you don't have to teach all the way up to pull down the Notification Center. Also the status bar comes down and you can touch it to scroll to top.

6. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Nope, it doesn't.

7. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I just tried with my 6. Reachability worked for all of the above except for banners. For some reason the banner stayed at the top while everything else came down.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I just tried banner and actually you can't do that one. But you can pull down notification center and the one I use all the time is tapping the status bar. The only problem with the status bar is I often don't hit it dead on then reachablity goes away. Apple should widen tap area a bit so I can miss and still scroll up too.

9. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Well, first of all I do have two hands, both of which I routinely used to operate my iPhone 5, so I'm not sure why there's a sudden requirement that I only use one of them on the 6 Plus. Second, I don't really have any trouble slightly shifting the phone in my hand when I need to reach the top of the screen with my thumb so that's not much of an issue for me and when it is I use Reachability. So, to answer your question, I use it more or less exactly like I used my 5.

10. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I wasn't able to get it to work with a message banner or in spotlight. In spotlight/search it brings down the results but not the search bar itself.

11. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

I actually went into Apple today and surprisingly the 6+ is not as big as I thought. I'm only 5'9 but I could easily text with one hand and use everything - I almost regret not getting it.

12. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I'm sure the official one handed manual will be out soon #

I'm doing a lot of finger creep, resting the phone on my fingers to move it up or down and then reaching across the screen for a better grip. Probably a good idea to do finger exercises and stretches so you don't cramp up #

Yea and if all else fails why not cheat and use the other hand?

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not really a problem for me as I have large hands. I can still swipe down notification center but I did move my 2nd most frequently used row of apps (after the dock) from the very top to the very bottom of the first page.

14. kioko91 macrumors regular

kioko91

As a woman with very small hands (5' tall to give a size reference point) I've been one handing since I opened the box, without reachability. My prior phone was an HTC One M8 which had a 5" screen and slightly taller, but not quite as wide. Prior to that I had a Galaxy Note 2 with its 5.5" screen. One handing was much more difficult, but I had keyboards with adjustable sizes and whatnot so that helped I'm sure.

When I downloaded swift key and learned I couldn't resize it I was pretty sad. But I'm able to type on the iOS keyboard with my right hand relatively quick. I also recently had surgery on my right wrist, so forgive me if I don't understand how people are having a difficult time with this phone. I think everyone needs to calm down and take time to adjust before complaining and swapping phones. When I first swapped to the Galaxy line of phones from the iPhone 4 it took time to adjust, certainly more than a single weekend. Give it a week or two before jumping to conclusions. It really isn't difficult to handle this phone thanks to its light weight. Just give it an actual chance (this coming from a small handed person who swapped from a 3.5" screen to 4.7" as my first size jump almost 3 years ago).

15. Cryates macrumors 65816