OK seriously how to you search in mail?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by yalag, Jul 21, 2011.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

OK seriously how to you search in mail? I thought the new UI was great and all but now I can't search by "from" address at all. I tried putting a name in the search box, sometimes it automatically prompts shows "people" under the search term but sometimes it doesnt. And when it doesn't, you're stuck!!

How do you search by "from"?

2. ndpitch macrumors 6502

I haven't yet seen the scenario you describe, where typing a name doesn't bring up the person.

For me, I just start typing someone's name. It then shows the name in full, I click it, and it generates a "search token" or whatever Apple calls it.

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Try searching for a "from" email address instead, like, "somedomain.com". It won't recognize it as people.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Works for me. I type the first three letters of an email address and it matches it to the person and lists it under Person in the results field.

5. chrismac2 macrumors regular

chrismac2

I understand what the OP is talking about. Mail search, at least for couple days, was completely useless to me. I could see an email in my inbox, go up to search and type a term from the message body and the message would not come up in the search results.

Or, I knew I had received and email from someone a couple days ago, and started to type in the domain name of their email address, and it wouldn't come up. But I could manually scroll through my inbox to go find the message.

So search was not properly indexing the emails. I had posted several messages in this forum regarding this problem. Then, lo and behold, mail search started working properly for me just last night. Not sure what the issue was, except it seems as if Spotlight hadn't completely indexed all my mailboxes or something. But it's just odd because I installed Lion the day it came out and only last night did mail search finally start working for me........