Ok, seriously, wtf is up w/ firewire

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n8236, Mar 27, 2009.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

For the sole purpose of utilizing my Firewire 800 port, I bought a Western Digital external w/ a fw800 adapter. The speeds are great, but wtf is up with OS X not being able to boot when it's plugged in. This is utter retarded-ness. The grey screen w/ the Apple logo shows up and that's it. When the fw800 is unplugged, OS X boots fine.

I am furious because given that Apple machines and firewire anything should be BFFs, everything should just work.

Is there a fix?

2. heppy macrumors member

Sounds to me like your mac thinks it's supposed to boot up from the drive. Check the Target drive settings in system preferences

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

System Preferences > Startup Disk ... Make sure the internal drive is selected.

Attached Files:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Or an SMC reset might help.

MacBook, MacBook Pro except MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

If the computer is on, turn it off.
    Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the computer's battery.
    Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
    Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
    Press the power button to restart the computer

from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

5. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope, tried all those things earlier, no dice.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Then your Mac is not working as it should. It's broken.

More likely however is that you only thought you tried all those things. I'd double check before taking it in for repair

7. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Update:

Before I get to what I've found, here is the basic background of my setup. I have a fw800 external hard drive plugged in. Also, I have an USB hub w/ stuff on it, plugged in (including an external).

Here's the scoop. When I have both (the USB hub and fw800) plugged in and try to boot to OS X, it hangs @ the grey screen w/ the Apple logo. But when I physically disconnect the USB hub and reboot, it goes into OS X just fine. So. it appears I have to either have the USB or FW800 unplugged for any reboots to be successful.

I'm @ a loss of why this is.

8. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Update 2: I've found out that when I unmount/eject all the drives before I shutdown or restart my laptop, the lock up does not occur. I guess that's less annoying than having to physically unplug the usb or fw prior to reboot -_-; But nevertheless still annoying...

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

external drives should be auto unmounted when shutting down.

Have you installed anything that modifies the OS? Onyx, Greasemonkey, haxies, whatever?

Also, what do you have on these externals? Just files and docs, or copies of an OS filesystem? (OSX, windows, Time Machine etc)

10. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, ya. I have Onyx, Yasu, Refit (boot manager). What do they have to do w/ my problem?

USB external is used for general storage. Firewire800 is split into two partitions: time machine and clone image.

11. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Bingo :)

Glad you sorted it out.