OK so I like the new 3g dock..

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tacomahunter, Jul 22, 2008.

1. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

My new 3G dock arrive today and I have to say that it is pretty cool. Seeing my new white IPhone sitting there instead of laying is nice..Show it off!

2. elbirth macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

yeah, sucks that it's $30, but I really like having the dock to easily slide into instead of fiddling with the cord

3. devobail macrumors member

Does the dock come with an addition usb cord and mini charger?

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Surprisingly no, it's just the dock and absolutely nothing else.

5. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

YES! I got a dock today too. It won't scratch laying on anything and I don't have to fiddle with the cord too. Just slide and drop or pick it up and go! It looks pretty rad on my computer desk too, I love it.

Sucks that they didn't include it though seirously, I was disappointed because I was one of the few people that actually used the older dock since it was convenient.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Mines getting the Colorware treatment in matching black.

7. devobail macrumors member

So for $30 all you get is something to rest your phone in? Something that came with the first iphone, but now doesnt come with the 3G. Not only that but from what I hear, and correct me if I'm wrong, if you have the first one it wont work with the 3G. On top of THAT they dont even include an extra usb cable so you dont have to swap it out from where ever you put the dock!! I call RIP OFF!! Thats a total lack of respect for your consumer base to pull something like that. Apple, or any other company should be ashamed of themselves for pulling something like this!

8. cshale210 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

ashamed? I mean maybe it isn't the best thing, that's just business. Apple clearly wanted to price the iPhone as aggressively as possible. What do they do?cut costs. The dock was probably (as a whole the least used part of the iPhone package). Basically, it sucks but they have to make some sacrifices.

9. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Le's see; iPhone 3G, $199 + dock, $30= $229. Old phone with dock =$399. If another USB cable was $170, it would be even I guess.. :rolleyes:

10. agbot macrumors regular

The markup is a bit outrageous. I figure Apple's logic is now that they "only" markup their RAM prices 100% instead of 600% they have to make up that profit somewhere else. :D

One cable option is the Power Jolt iPhone car charger from Griffin. The power plug is seperate from the USB cable, so for the exact same price as the dock cable from Apple you effectively get a free car adapter.

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Apple has been doing this for the past 10 years, why is this surprising you now? If you asked me the day the iPhone came out last year, I would have told you that the dock wouldn't be included with the 2nd gen iPhone. :rolleyes:

12. devobail macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong but Apple is still getting the same price for the phones as before right? Even the ones sold at a subsidy are still being payed for in full by AT&T, hence the higher price for the plans. I could be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure Apple doesnt take the hit on the subsidized phones. So the only reason they could have to remove the dock is to jack you for 30 more dollars!

13. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Yup that's exactly what I thought when the first iPhone came out.

They tried to impress with the first iPhone by including things like docks and using high quality materials and finishes. When it came out its obvious to realise that with subsequent phones they'll use engineering, cost cutting and quantities of scale to increase their margins.

They will increase features over time but the cost of components comes down.

The dock would be the first thing to go.

If you look at the first iPod released, it was truly something special. It came in a big box with a dock, charger, remote, case, the works. Now iPods are a commodity you can buy from anywhere.

14. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

;)

I remember when I got my first iPod (i think it was a 2nd generation) and it came in a huge box with loads of accessories....*sigh* those were the days :rolleyes:

15. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Yes, Apple is getting a subsidy from AT&T on the phones. They didn't cut the price themselves, and thusly the absence of the dock can't be explained away as sacrifices for a lower price. It's fairly lame in my opinion. But they did the same thing with the ipod line, so it's not a new practice.