OK so I' not eligible until November but,

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tacomahunter, Jul 4, 2008.

1. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

If I choose to buy one for the non subsidized price, would I not be able to get a subsidized phone when the next one comes out in a year???

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Well ummm the 2nd one didn't even come out yet so I don't know if you should be anticipating a third one in a year. What would this third one have anyway? A front side camera for video conference or something? The 3G network is still being rolled out and I don't see Apple releasing another model soon unless it is 32 GB.

3. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I also have a wait until November.

If I pay the higher $399 price with 2 year contract, I'm going to want my upgrade eligibility to still be for November. That way if in 6-12 months when a new iPhone comes out, I could finally upgrade for the lowest price.

And that's the way it was before with the first iPhone. If you were eligible for an upgrade in one month, and you buy an iPhone, you'd still be eligible for an upgrade in one month.

Though, that was written before a subsidized iPhone was available. And now they are coining the term "Early Upgrade" for those that are not upgrade eligible. I fear they may still call it a subsidized phone at $399 and try and reset your eligibility for another 18-24 months.

Which would be BS, that $399-$499 is the same price everyone was paying before, which didn't effect your eligibility, and despite even that, they made all of them instantly eligible even if they bought a free phone before getting the iPhone. If as an existing loyal customer I have to pay $399 now, and in a year still have to pay $399 again for the new model if they reset my eligibility, that's like stabbing their own customers in the back twice.

Still, the ATT iPhone FAQ says there's no penalty upgrading to an iPhone, your eligibility continues from your last contract. But it oddly says for discounts on devices other than an iPhone. But that was written at the launch of the first iPhone, where there's was no discount allowed on the iPhone.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/iphone-faqs.jsp

4. tacomahunter thread starter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

UPDATE:: 7-11-08
    I went into the local at&t store to get my 16g white and to my surprise the mgr told me that I did NOT get the upgrade price, then rang the phone up and it stated that I got it for 299... NICE, I asked her why (after the CC was ran) and she stated she was not sure but it was nice!