Ok so I took the plunge and ordered...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joelovesapple, Apr 17, 2014.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2006
    ...another 8gb RAM for my late 2012 27 inch iMac. It has 8 already but I've done my housekeeping and every test I've run says all is well. I am just sick of beach balls in iTunes (I keep my music on my Mybook Live NAS). Sometimes though, I get beach balls at odd times and it's annoying. The hard drive is a standard mechanical one.

Has anyone else done this and has it made a noticeable improvement to the speed of your mac?
  2. MrGIS macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2010
    Ontario Canada
    Really? Where asking a questions about if more ram will help with system performance? No reason to believe it will solve your iTunes woes, but in general more ram is always a good thing. But you knew that already didn't you?....
  3. justinthesommer macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    You should definitely see a huge difference almost instantly by installing new ram. It'll make your system breathe easier lol
  4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    There's your problem. The beach balling is largely due to your mechanical hard drive. Even with 16GB of RAM on my 2011 15" MBP, I always got beach balling and 3 minute boot times. In the end, I lost my temper and put a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro instead. After that, boot times were 11 seconds with constant app launching, and all beach balling disappeared.