Ok so im not a risk taker, is this safe?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by jpizzaj, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jpizzaj macrumors newbie

ok i have the first gen ipod touch and have had it jailbroken since i got it in january with version 1.1.2 but then after a terrible accident where itunes installed 1.1.4 i lost everything on it and had to restart. well since then i have again built this thing up and see that the update for 2.1 is out and it looks good but is it safe? or am i going to have to start over again? if its going to require me having to lose everything again ill just live in the past then i guess >.<

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

as with all jailbreaks you have to start from a clean restore, you cannot update to a custom firmware it is all done through restoring the device.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    As long as the music is still on your computery you can still easily transfer the music back onto the device.

4. dagored macrumors 65816

Do a backup in iTunes.

Upgrade to 2.1 in iTunes - iTunes must be 8 or greater.

Download Pwanage 2.1 - or QuickPwn -follow the on screen directions in expert mode.

QuickPwn for Mac works on iPod Touch ALREADY restored to 2.1 Firmware.

It will jailbreak and/or unlock your iPhone/iPod depending on the model.

It is AUTOMATIC.

Simply connect your device and QuickPwn will detect the model and find the firmware.

It will ask you if you want to keep the original Apple boot logos and then it will start the jailbreak and/or unlock process.

You will have to turn it off and put it into DFU mode following on screen instructions and then it will reboot when finshed.

Done. Took me longer to upgrade to iTunes 8 than to JB.

Now iTunes will ask you to restore your settings. Do so. Now reload your music. iTunes even backed up my notes on the upgrade and jb from 2.0 to 2.1

5. jpizzaj thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a couple of applications, notably MXTube on which i have several youtube videos downloaded. what i wanna know is if there is a way to snag the directories through Fugu etc. and put the files back once i upgrade, jailbreak then re-install the applications?