Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Long story short, Apple is going to fix the numerous things going wrong with my powerbook. I have to send it away though for 7-10 business days... I can't believe that's what they expect people to go through in order to get things fixed that isn't their fault in the first place! I use my computer frequently and heavily everyday for college and photography, I'll go crazy without if for that long.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
What alternative were you expecting? If there are as many things wrong with your powerbook as you say, perhaps it will take as long as they say to repair them all.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Should be like my Acura dealer. I bring the car in for service (then again, they rarely break down) and get a loaner car to drive. :rolleyes:

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
7-10 days? Consider yourself lucky. I had to wait a freakin' month for my MBP to come back from service, and it came back in worse condition then I sent it (the repair wasn't fixed).

rdowns said:
Should be like my Acura dealer. I bring the car in for service (then again, they rarely break down) and get a loaner car to drive. :rolleyes:

This isn't a car you are dealing with, it's an electronic device. You are still going to be able to get somewhere without it. They always tell you to backup your stuff in the event that they need to wipe out your HD or if you need to access your stuff while your portable is in repair. If you couldn't live without your data, you'd have backed up all your files on an external HD and booted that HD on another backup mac you should have. =)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
You'll get over it at some point.

It took them 38 days to "fix" my MacBook Pro ... got it back with new things broken. I wasn't going to wait for it to get repaired for the third time, so I gave AppleCare a ring and they are now replacing my MacBook Pro with a, hopefully, less buggy one.

Of course I wasn't thrilled.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
wow those stories worry me. They said 7-10 days, but that doesn't completely rule out it taking longer, or coming back worse...

My freind bought the last generation powerbook a few months ago. The thing is a complete lemon, so many things are wrong with it it's ridiculous. He has yet to get anything out of them, as a result, he's not a fan of apple anymore.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
crazydreaming said:
wow those stories worry me. They said 7-10 days, but that doesn't completely rule out it taking longer, or coming back worse...

My freind bought the last generation powerbook a few months ago. The thing is a complete lemon, so many things are wrong with it it's ridiculous. He has yet to get anything out of them, as a result, he's not a fan of apple anymore.

Have he spoken with Customer Relations?

Have it been repaired before? If so, for what and how many times?

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I guess he's just gone to the genius bar numerous times and hasn't gotten anywhere. He told me today that he is going to either send a letter and he's going to go with me when I go to get mine shipped out, maybe two incidents will be better than one.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I remember when they told me it would be a week turn-around with my iBook to reseat the logic board cable, but then it became two weeks, then three...

and it wasn't even anything hard to do!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Are you mailing it or taking it in to the genius bar? Yesterday around 3:30, I went in to ask about my PowerBook's spacebar not working. They had the keyboard in stock, and I told them about how I need to be able to to take notes and how I had an essay due tomorrow. To be safe, I emailed the essay to myself, but I had my PowerBook back in about 4 hours.

It may also have helped that I'm an 18 year old girl, but whatever-- I got my Powerbook back quickly. :)

If it's in-store you could probably ask them if you can hold onto the PB while the parts come in. Once, I got my HD replaced, but they didn't have it in stock. Most of the time I waited was for the part to get shipped to the store.

Good luck.:D

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
crazydreaming said:
I'll go crazy without if for that long.

It will give you an appreciation of what your poor parents had to go through in the old days. We only had television and radio and we had to carry our music around with us on tapes. And if we wanted to iChat we had to use our actual eyes. How barbaric is that?

Hang in there. It will make you strong.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Boy, I hope you're taking it in to the Genius Bar, and not sending it in. If you send it in... it's out of your hands, buddy. Apple's had my Powerbook for three weeks now for what should have been a "couple of days" repair. Turns out the part they put in was broken, so they're reordering a new one... and it won't be there until the 29th. Woo! Totally awesome service for $350!

I recommend calling them often to check on the status of your computer. If you have 45 minutes to wait on hold each time, that is.

Bitter? Me? Noooo.... :cool:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
katie ta achoo said:
It may also have helped that I'm an 18 year old girl, but whatever-- I got my Powerbook back quickly. :)

That doesn't seem to hurt the process I see ;)

Regardless, anyone with problems should speak to AppleCare and get a level 2 technician who can guide you through some troubleshooting. In that way you already have a case no. setup when you get to the genius bar and they can already tell (most of the time) what's wrong.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I appreciate the feebacks, this is helping... Because, I have been taking it to the Genius bar, but they need to send it in to do the repairs.

-They need to replace the screen (somehow a hair is in the display, so it looks like a long line of dead pixels.

-The connection to the display is somehow loose, when you open or close the screen or bump the PB, it flickers.

-The trackpad button is sticking

-Sometimes I'll just randomly loose sound, and I'll get wierd static noises.

:mad: I need my computer, it's my only computer, I'm a photographer and student, I can't go up to a month without it mid semester!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.