Ok, so to buy or not to buy....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMistress166, Jul 3, 2010.

1. iMistress166 macrumors newbie

I have a pre order (what little good that did me) for the iPhone 4 @ BB... Since then all these problems have popped up especially about the reception... That is one of my major requirements for a phone lol... As soon as my phone shows up at BB should I buy it or should I wait until Apple figures out what they are going to do about the whole ordeal? Maybe it's a good thing I had to wait...

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Apple are releasing a software update to fix the issues. In my experience a call has never been dropped while using it, so for me its not a big deal. If you have the option I would get one!

3. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I cancelled both of our orders on Tuesday and am going to wait-and-see what happens. After I read about the lawsuits and saw the antenna problem all over the news, I figured that I'll let the bugs get worked out, and then consider it somewhere down the road.

My wife has a 3G and it works fine for her, no reception problems. I, however, went through several 3G iPhones after the initial launch in '08, and am not going through that again... I finally sold my black 3G after it got exchanged again (under Applecare warranty) for bad reception and went back to using a regular cell phone. No dropped calls on the Nokia (yet!).

4. krUnIzZlE macrumors regular

Me Too :) No Matter in what way i hold it....

*GASP* STEVE YOU HEAR THAT? NO MATTER WHAT WAY I DONT DROP A BAR!!!!! zOMFG!

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It's really up to you. If you can deal with the possibility of a few bugs and want the phone now, then go for, it does alot of other things really well. If you don't have much patients and just want your devise to just work and would get frustrated when it doesn't, you should probably wait until after apple issues a few updates.

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

In my opinion the enhancements FAR outweigh the problems and it's definitely worth getting, still.

Then again, I live in an area with very, very good AT&T coverage and my opinions about this might be changing when I move back to New York in September.

7. cperchard macrumors 6502a

it's the best phone in the world i dont know why any1 wouldnt want one to be honest.....all this euphoria in my view is completely over the top.

8. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

just get it.
    the reception issue isn't even that bad...

9. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I would get one, yes.

I'm getting ready to order one for my mom soon.

10. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I received my e:mail from Apple today that my phone was available. I picked it up this morning. I am keeping a copy of the letter that Apple sent out stating anyone not happy can return it for a full refund within 30 days. I asked the Apple store employee about that -- he said no re-stocking will apply if returned within 30 days and no damage.

Based on that, I decided to go ahead and get the phone. I was replacing my original iPhone that is 3 years old. The new phone download speeds are awesome in comparison. Using Speednet I was getting 25 - 100kbs download on my original iPhone. The iPhone4 gets between 1,000 - 3,000kbs download speeds -- I am very happy.

As for the antenna... yes, if I hold my finger over the seam, the bars drop and the data drops drastically. I have a skin on order, but my original iPhone skin works surprisingly well -- slightly loose and covers the flash, but all other openings / buttons line up fine. Using the skin, I have no data download problems.

If you will be using a silicone skin / bumper, I see no problems getting the phone. For the times I decide to not use the skin, I will need to avoid touching the antenna seam - not a big deal for me, but I am more flexible than others. Yes -- poor design that Apple should have caught and will most likely fix in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if down the line they offer an Apple gift card / credit after they acknowledge this issue and make a change.

Enjoy your new phone.

11. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Fewer dropped calls for me than with my 3GS. Been using it, happily, since the 23rd. Your results may vary...

12. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

My girlfriend and I both love our iPhone 4s. Neither of us have had a dropped call regardless of how we hold he phone while talking. Macforums seems to be overun with negative threads, and while some are certainly legitimate complainers many most likely do not even own one.

This is the best phone I've ever owned.

Edit: forgot to mention that my iPhone actually gets better reception in my apt than the blackberry it replaced! Trying to do the "death grip" brings the reception to about what my blackberry usually read.

13. iMistress166 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a case ready for the phone and after reading about the issues and how many do have them and how many don't I'll just wait for my phone to come in. If I have issues I'll make sure to get verification on returns and such. Thanks!

14. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Since you say you have a case for it then the antenna issue is a non-issue. It seems to be the main one.

Your choice to go for it is a wise one. It is a fantastic piece of kit.

If you notice the people who rant about returning it, or not getting one etc are mainly the same group of people who haunt all threads looking for an opening to put out their naysaying negativism. Some are so vociferous about buying a droid that I think they work for places that sell them.

15. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

Yes, I have had a few issues.

But, I recommend it without hesitation.