All iPads Ok, so what's everyone's consensus on rMini vs. Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mjmar, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I've returned my defective Air to Target, and I'm heading over to the Apple store tomorrow to either pick up a rMini or another Air (hopefully with a decent screen). My question is for the people who have had both and a decent amount of time to play around with them: Which one did you choose, or which one do you prefer? Playing around with them in the store is good, but that really doesn't give you a feel of what it's like to use a device in your everyday life. All of the gamut and screen issues aside, which one do you feel the most attached to and enjoy using the most? Thanks guys, hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. :)

2. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i like the air, it's about as heavy as the rMini at least in my hands. but the biggest problem to me is that my thumbs can't reach the middle of the screen in an ipad air so i'm sticking with the mini.

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree with this. In some cases the screen on the Air is too big to use comfortably, particularly with gaming.

4. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I have both and love the mini. I should return the air but it's nice for work.

5. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

hmmm, my take, from reading tons of threads:
    The Air has wider gamut. P<.05
    The rMini is smaller. P<.00001

Just kidding! Have an iPad 3, and thinking of a change. I have always wanted to try the the mini for the form factor. Nice to have such good choices.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Mini screen too mini. Text is outrageously small when browsing, requiring a lot of zooming. Gets annoying. Screen is also not as high contrast as the Air, despite having higher PPI.

I prefer the Air's screen. Still a very portable tablet.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Consensus? You're kidding, right?

8. gmaines macrumors member

I love them both, I use the iPad air for work and the mini retina for home. I guess I am just lucky by using both quite a bit and they're both great..

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My thought exactly! If there is any "majority opinion," it's that both devices are great, and which one you pick is totally up to your personal preference and how *you* will be using the device. There is no choice that is right for everyone, and the "wrong" device for me could be the "right" one for you.

10. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I have both and they both have advantages. I prefer the mini as an e-reader and to use at the gym. It is also easily portable.

The Air is better for me on sheet music, games, videos, magazines and newspaper reading - as well as browsing.

If I could choose only one, it would be the Air.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm of the same opinion as you. Except for the gym part. ;)

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

So is one of them going back or have you not decided yet?

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm using the Mini right now while I'm away from home. I'm liking the flexibility. If I had to pick one, I think I'd pick the Air. I really like the bigger screen. But having the Mini to tote around is sooooo convenient.

I need to break it to my wife gently. Seems we will become a three iPad household (she has her Air)... :eek:

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Lucky you. I'd fear for my life if I even so much as raised to my wife the proposition of holding on to two iPads. :p

15. everydayCARD macrumors member

Originally purchased an rMini for academic use, but returned it after every single replacement rMini had screen issues. Decided to go with the air because the size and weight didnt really make much of a difference in actual use. I carry around the Air in my backpack most of the time, so the form factor didnt really matter to me. I actually prefer having a bigger screen.
    If you really plan on carrying it around everywhere in your coat pockets, then the mini is probably a better fit for you. But each has its own benefits. You should try to imagine yourself using both, and how you would use the ipad on a daily basis.

You shouldnt listen to others when making the purchase. You should put much thought into how you would use the ipad. Everyone has different needs.

16. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I haven't bought the rMini yet, but I'm trying to get my wife to go the 24 hour Walmart as I type. When I owned both the iPad 4 and Mini 1, I used the Mini 99% of the time. Its smaller size and lighter weight rendered the iPad 4 a paper weight. I carry the Air with me daily, and do enjoy the larger screen. It's a tough call now, but I'll probably own both eventually.

Only one? The Air. ;)

17. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

The devices make different trade-offs and so appeal to different people. Personally, I prefer the mini, but they are both great tablets. While I haven't owned the air, I'm going to give my thoughts anyway.

Advantages of the Air:
    In my experience, browsing web pages is often more natural on a larger screen; on the mini I often find myself enlarging text or switching to portrait view on. The onscreen buttons, tabs, and controls can be a little harder to press on the mini; they sometimes feel as though they were designed for a larger screen and then shrunk down. I also think watching movies is more enjoyable on a larger device, and rarely use my mini for that. And while the Air is larger than the mini, it's by no means huge. Light and about as small as it can be given it's screen, it's easily carried or slipped into a briefcase or backpack or even slipped under an arm. I was never interested in the original Ipads, but the Air is small and light enough I might have gotten it if the mini weren't available.

Advantages of the mini:
    The mini slips easily into a typical jacket pocket. As I wear a jacket anyway, it's always there when I need it. I don't even need to reach for a briefcase or bag, it's always right near my left hand, ready to be pulled out in less than a second whenever I have a need for it. And it never gets in the way. I'm an instructor, and typically use it for storing my textbooks and worksheets, and so when lecturing at the board I'll hold it one hand while I use the other to copy down problems with chalk. I'll often have it out when navigating an unfamiliar neighborhood or even a mall (Google maps actually had a map of my local two story mall). If I'm in a crowded take out place, I can stand in a corner and read, without it getting in the way. And of course when I no longer need it and its time to pick up my order, no need to reach for my briefcase to put it away, no need to even have my briefcase, it just gets tucked right back into the jacket pocket so I can pick up my order with both hands and leave. I also personally find the mini to be a more comfortable size for reading. When reading, I prefer to be able to get an overview of the page I'm looking at, and the Air screen feels to big for that; my eyes have to move around more than I would prefer.

A previous thread compared the Air to a hardback book and the mini to a paperback, and that seemed an apt comparison to me, they both have their advantages. People who prefer the Air will sometimes say if I want something portable, I'd just assume use my phone for that. People who prefer the Mini will often say, if I want something larger, I'd just assume use my laptop for that. That's how I feel, as small and light as the Air is, I'd need some sort of bag of some sort to carry it most the time, and once I have a bag, I might as well have a laptop. That's the reason Ipads didn't appeal to me before the mini came out.

But they're both fine devices with different strengths that naturally appeal to different people; I don't think one could sensibly say one of them was somehow objectively better overall than the other.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I have both.

With a case, comparing the two, I immediately knew I preferred the Air to the rMini. I was actually a bit surprised at how obvious it was for me.

If I preferred having it close to my face and without a case, I could see choosing the rMini.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

It really seems there's a case for both if one can swing it. I'm intending to try out an LTE rMini in lieu of upgrading my ipad3 to an Air. Though I have to admit there's an allure to the idea of a BF $200-225 mini1 too... Sigh. :)

20. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

In my particular case, there isn't an argument for both. Portability of the Mini becomes a non factor considering I have a smartphone on me all the time AND the Mini doesn't fit into any of my pant or jacket pockets. So it's no more portable than the Air for me.

21. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Prefer the bigger screen on the Air. That's why I got an Air instead. Upgraded from an iPad 3

22. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

This. What is your intended use? That is what drove my decision to get the mini. I am a professor who starting this year decided not to bring any folders or files or briefcase with me to class. I put all my lectures in the cloud and started lecturing from my iPhone 5. But it was too small. Had there been a 5 inch iPhone I would have bought one, but there was not one. So, I decided to get the mini. I did not even bother with the Air. The mini is so practical to hold with one hand and lecture from while I walk the classroom. It is also very easy to hold in bed and read from as I so often do. I do not watch movies, I just read and browse the internet for news and information. It just works for ME.

You have to sit down and think about your intended use. We cannot decide for you.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love the mini, and so far the rmini's screen is gorgeous. I think the only deciding factor is the size. Do you prefer a larger tablet or a smaller one. For me, the smaller one is ideal.

24. GDF macrumors regular

Have both and returning the mini retina today. Prefer the bigger screen if iPad Air and it is not that much heavier. Apple did a great job of the design of the new Air.

25. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

I was in this same boat. Wife was against getting both. After holding the rMini and using it she fell in love with the idea of taking it around.

So now she got an air from work, and I bought myself an air on release day. After she approved of the mini we now have three iPads. Haha. We both use air at home and I take the mini everywhere I go. When she's with me I let her hold onto it so she thinks it's also hers. Haha.