OK, so where are all the thunderbolt 3 docks?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alFR, Feb 18, 2017.

1. alFR macrumors 68020

As above - where are they? The OWC one has been announced for months, still "coming soon". All the others (although admittedly they haven't all been announced as long as the OWC one) are vapourware at the moment too as far as I can see (apart from the Startech one that doesn't charge your laptop). Is there some systemic problem with TB3 that's holding them up? I know some of the early TB3 chipsets weren't MBP compatible: have the compatible ones really been this slow coming out? It can't be that hard to retool a TB2 dock with a TB3 logic board, surely?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Caldigit has one out already, but the one you actually would want, with power delivery, is coming next month.

For some reason the price got jacked up though. When I preordered it it was $199, now it's $299.

3. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Maybe you're thinking of the "Lite" TB3 version, it's $199.

Personally, I only have faith in the CalDigit docks, so I won't consider any others.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No, The lite dock used to be 150 or 160. When I preordered the full TB3 dock I paid $199, then it went up to $250 a few weeks later and now it's $299.

Glad to know you like them. This will be my first Caldigit product.

5. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I have the original thunderbolt 1 caldiget dock (to add usb 3.0 to my 2011 iMac), and it has been bulletproof.