Ok somethings not right.. again - Alu. MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acfusion29, Jan 8, 2009.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Every 10-15min I get the beachball wheel spinning and everything locks up for about 20 seconds. I have music playing, and it stops playing, firefox is frozen, I can't force quit anything.

I'm reparing disk permissions and if this happens again I'll call Apple. What would it be guys?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you created another user account? If so, does it happen in the other user account as well?

3. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I have not.

I have the following apps open:

Mail, Firefox, MSN, iChat, Skype and iTunes.

I'm occasionally replying to messages on MSN and iChat, sometimes Skype, however it froze all 3 times while I was surfing the net on Firefox. :eek:

It just started happening today, it was fine before...

I understand that there is a log that I can retrieve? Where would I get this and would I be able to post here so you guys can dissect it since probably got no idea what it means :p

4. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Right after I posted the above comment, my Firefox locked up but my iTunes music didn't stop playing. I was able to force quit this time though. I'm running the beta (3.1). Could it be possible that Firefox is crashing my entire system? Should I go ahead and re-install 3?

5. applephysci macrumors regular

If you haven't done this yet, try to isolate the problem. Since you have Mail, Firefox, MSN, iChat, Skype and iTunes all open, and since at least both itunes and firefox seems to freeze, there may be one culprit or so that actually incites this. Open and leave Activity Monitor on, and reproduce the problem. You can then visually see the CPU and memory used for each program as this problem happens again. If you can then isolate the one that seems to hog down your resources, you may be able to get closer to which process is the culprit here. Tackling this culprit may help.

6. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Did this start happening after you installed Windows 7 beta as it says in your signature?

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Installing windows or any other operating system as dual boot will not in any way effect OSX. Unless the problem is caused by reduced disk space...

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats not true, actually it does, and i can show you many instances on this forum where it has. Sometimes windows likes to overwrite the Mac OS X drivers, noone knows why, but when they share the same disk even on different partitions, this happens in 0.01% of cases.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Windows can't even read/write to the Mac file system. There is no way it can possibly overwrite the Mac OSX drivers.

However it can be forced (this is not default) to format/remove the Mac or EFI partition. This is not default behavior and is more than likely user error.

11. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I've had windows 7 installed for about a week and it started happening yesterday

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

My guess would be too many chat/VOIP apps. They're furiously polling in the background.

13. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The programs that I listed above I have always running. On top of those, I have photoshop or final cut open and it runs without any problems.

14. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ok guys... it didn't happen again since I made this thread until now.

I have opened activity monitor and will let you guys know what happened. I have the same programs open as before, but it seems like it was MSN that froze. It's buggy as hell, so I wouldn't be surprised. I only had 1 chat window open and I was typing and it froze.

15. bobnugget macrumors regular

Hi, which hard disk were you having the beachball issues with? Are you still having them?

16. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Firefox has been locking up on me as well, if you take any solace in that.

17. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

About your IM clients, why don't you put them altogether? I mean if it's possible, I think you should do it...

18. Joruus macrumors member

Your Hard Drive is failing, turn the Notebook off and get to a Authorized Dealer.

19. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

20. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Surprised it took so long for someone to diagnose it as the hard drive. It's dying. Make backups now!!

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Have you verified disk?

Put in original ram and test.

Could be the HD?

Do you have music / files on connected external usb 2 drive?

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I had a similar problem, I would scroll through iTunes and iTunes would freeze for a good ten seconds. It's especially weird since my computer could power through everything else, but when I was making a playlist this would happen every few scrolls. Since I got my software all up to date though I haven't had an issue.

23. andypandy macrumors newbie

I´ve had this problem too since I purchased my MacBook back in December. From what I´ve understood from other forums around the web this problem seems to be related to the machine not being able to handle 4GB RAM.

Lots of users are having this problem, and it does not seem related to what software you have installed or are using.

The only solution that seems to work is to reduce the amount of RAM.

24. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I bought my macbook in December and I upgraded the memory to 4GB about 3 months ago. i have had no problems with the machine not being able to handle the 4GB. Why would it not be able to handle it if it is apple supported and tested?

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

don't quote me since I didn't say that. I don't believe that 4GB is the problem either. It's a 64bit system, there's no reason why it would choke on 4GB.