Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weeble8604

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
i need to know this before i preorder tommorow. Say i preorder from apple.com and get the phone sent to my house? will i be able to turn the phone on and go through the activation process on it? or will i have to call att to activate? or will i have to actually go in to an att store to activate?

thank you for your time

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure that when you order from Apple, they will still ask you which carrier you're on so they know what SIM card to put in it. Thus, when you get your phone you should be able to just go thru the activation process on the phone itself.

weeble8604

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
thank you for your quick response. ive heard this from a few people but i need this confirmed as i have heard other things too.

this is crucial because i really dont want to have the phone shipped to my house just to have to go out to some att store and wait in a long line to have it activated. half my reason for preordering (besides ensuring my phone) is to avoid having to wait in any lines

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
thank you for your quick response. ive heard this from a few people but i need this confirmed as i have heard other things too.

this is crucial because i really dont want to have the phone shipped to my house just to have to go out to some att store and wait in a long line to have it activated. half my reason for preordering (besides ensuring my phone) is to avoid having to wait in any lines

Yup. If you have any problems with activation, it's usually because of overloaded servers. But either way, you shouldn't have to go to the ATT or Apple store.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Yes, the carrier specific SIM will already be installed. Just hook up to your iTunes account and follow the prompts. It's an easy process. Just make sure you back up your old iPhone first so everything transfers.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

You won't need to go to the store. You should be able to do it from the phone. On launch day sometimes the servers are overloaded and you might need to call them up but you won't need to visit the store.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Set it up as soon as you can. i've never had a problem but if you watch trends on the forum you'll notice mid afternoon EST through the evening things have got ugly before.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Come on. This topic has been covered over and over in the past day or so. You could just scroll down the page to find the answer.

Of course, if people use thread titles like this one, you would not find the answer. Next time, either scroll down the first page or so. And, if starting a new thread, put something descriptive in your TITLE.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Come on. This topic has been covered over and over in the past day or so. You could just scroll down the page to find the answer.

Not on this forum. The iPhone is a popular topic right now and threads get easily buried. Give the guy some slack - his thread could've been buried onto page two within 10 minutes.

But activiating iPhones couldn't be easier. Just turn it on and follow the directions. You don't even need itunes anymore.

One thing that might be a problem - if there are tons of people activating them on the same day, you might have a delay. I had to try my 4S a few times that day because everybody and their mothers were activating at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.