Ok! Tell me I'm doing the right thing here...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freshe, Jun 28, 2013.

  1. freshe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2012
    #1
    Ok....Im bit scared.

    I planned on getting new cMBP 15" with maxed i7 and antiglare screen through my mate from the US. 2350$ (1800 euro) with the british layout - which is 600 euro cheaper to what I would have to pay here (2400euro). But basic ram and basic hdd. So that would require an upgrade.

    Then we started talking here about 17 late 2011. And I'm getting it with 7 2.4 and 16gb ram 6770 radeon and speck case but no hdd in there. Guy has a 300GB intel ssd in it at the moment. But I figured I can get fresh ssd for around 100£ and with the applecare plan have peace of mind for next 2 yrs. And for this setup excl my new ssd and applecare Ill have to pay 1325 euro. So total cost might be around 1500 euro excl applecare.

    Is it a good deal ? Its brought from US, with us keyboard. Warranty till the end of october '13.

    Im kind of stuck here cuz i can get bit better graphics and simply new but smaller laptop... but will save few quid if I go with 17".

    oh and will the maverick work on these ones ? id say it must otherwise they cut out all sandy bridge laptops...
     
  2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

    wonderspark

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    Get new cMBP. It's worth it just for the USB 3.0 alone. 16GB RAM upgrade is a piece of piss here... $130. Have that purchased in the US as well.
     
  3. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2012
    #3
    Yeah I was thinkin that - but it's just that size its a huge downgrade from my ex-27" imac to the 15 incher...

    I don't really used even my usb2.0 to make a big fuss about not having 3.0 though.
     
  4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

    wonderspark

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Location:
    Oregon
    #4
    You can plug in the iMac via Thunderbolt. I plug in my 30" Apple Cinema Display when I'm home and want a second screen for the laptop, if I'm not using it for my Mac Pro.
     
  5. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2012
    #5
    I don't have any external display other than my TV. If I was to get TBD I'd prefer to get an imac 27". For now I need a laptop just to be able to move it away from my 2 yr old. If you check my other thread about getting 17" I'm describing possible choices in more detail.
     
  6. fratey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    #6
    If you need the size, get the 17". It's a no-brainer.
     
  7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
  8. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2012
    #8
    I'm more or less decided to go with the 17". Unless Ill snatch 15" i7 2.6 gt650m 8gb ram and 256ssd from another seller for 1400EUR as last minute change of mind...
     
  9. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    I'd go with new,
    Why spend so much money old technology. With the new laptop you get a faster CPU/GPU USB 3.0

    The saving grace is that the laptop has a larger display, and if that's a requirement then your decision has been made and the 17" MBP makes sense.
     
  10. Mike Boreham, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

    Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    If you decide to go the cMBP 15" route you can get a maxed out (Quad i7, 2.7Ghz 16gbRAM etc) 15" MBP from JIGSAW for £1654.80, including VAT. Very good and reputable Apple reseller.

    I want them to sell out quickly to remove the temptation from me!

    I have no connection with Jigsaw, except they are very near me and I have bought a lot of stuff from them.
     

Share This Page