Ok, that was weird...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ezgoer101, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ezgoer101 macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 15'' macbook pro, and its been acting strange lately. About 30 min ago my macbook froze when i tried to open iphoto. i then proceeded to hold down the power button in order to restart it. when it turned it back on the screen came up that prompted me to type in my password and it was totally different than normal, it was the lock screen for os x lion... im using snow leopard and have never had lion installed. so i entered my password and everything else was normal.

Also recently whenever i restart my mac (completely power it off then on again) it does something funny like this. for example sometimes my wallpaper will change to something i had previously used. Or i will have to reinstall a program called "SafeConnectMacInstaller" that i have to have in order to use my universities internet (actually it makes me reinstall this every time).

If anyone has any ideas about what might be causing these problems, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Another thing that might be worth mentioning is, sometimes when im watching netflix my screen will freeze into the "blue screen of death." when this happens i have to completely restart my computer. when i looked up what might be causing this problem i read it was probably due to heat. but im not too sure about that because when i play games it gets pretty hot too but never freezes.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

When you re-start it, do you see a progress bar and does the boot time seem longer prior to it reaching the login screen?

3. ezgoer101 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, there is no progress bar, just the little loading dial under the apple logo. And the boot time doesn't seem to take any longer than normal.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have you tried a permissions repair from Disk Utilty? Also, a PRAM re-set may help you.

Hold down CMD+Option+P+R on boot up, and let the machine go through the boot process twice. Release the keys on the second boot.

5. ezgoer101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just did a permissions repair, and am going to do a pram re-set once im done typing this... fingers crossed

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

Post back, if this won't fix it, you may have to look at User Accounts in system preferences.

7. ezgoer101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet, i think that helped, i bounced around a few websites and did not have to reinstall "SafeConnectMacInstaller" and restarted twice and everything stayed the way i wanted it to. Hopefully it stays this way lol.

Thank you very much for the help!!! :)

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

9. ezgoer101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet, i think that helped. i bounced around a few websites and did not have to reinstall "SafeConnectMacInstaller" and restarted twice and everything stayed the way i wanted it to. Hopefully it stays this way lol.

Thank you very much for the help!!! :)