Ok... This thing is awesome...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by brock2621, Apr 26, 2015.

1. brock2621, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

So picked of SS with white band and been using it for a couple days now and I gotta say, it truly has "changed my life."

Ok, so now to give some clarity on the above grandiose statement: it's a lot of minor things that add up.

1. First and one of the best, it reduces anyone's "douchebag" level by -10 points as having the watch give give you flick-of-the-wrist glances of all incoming notifications allows you to mentally filter things out 300% faster than pulling my phone out (not to mention the side effect of now reducing my chances of dropping it) just to check and see if it's something that needs my immediate attention (I'm a small business owner in advertising and am bombarded with both relevant and irrelevant information all day). And the gesture of checking your watch in public has been socially acceptable for 100+ years. A train conductor could be yelling "all aboard" WHILE flipping open his pocket watch to check the time as people loaded on. It's much less off-putting than a couple in a restaurant with both their noses 3" from a phone. Even if this thing helps with 5% of those instances in society I'll take it.

2. The activity app is VERY motivating. I love being reminded to stand and stretch every hour with a simple tap on the wrist and calm tone. Additionally, setting goals and constantly see them in a complication at bottom of screen when checking time is a great reminder to take the steps. Finally, I don't know if they did this on purpose but an "open" circle when you haven't reached your goals is VERY motivating. And by motivating, I mean in an irritating way like someone stopped the microwave with 2 seconds on it and it's been flashing for the past 20 minutes and you can see it out of the corner of your eye while at your desk at work. You just want to get up, walk over and hit the clear button. In the same way, you wanna walk those extra steps to close that circle.

3. Apps will become more fleshed out and native once WWDC happens and they open the API's up, but as it stands, it's super nice to be at the gym and leave my phone in my bag and workout with just Bluetooth headphones without messing with strapping a 6" piece of toast to my arm and twisting it around everytime I get a text or want to search for a song. I can simply run completely wirelessly and easily take calls, respond to texts or tell Siri to "play Dean Martin" and it starts streaming from iTunes Match. (Side note, the watch music glance controller works with streaming spotify too somehow, so skipping, pausing etc works. Kinda nice until proper app comes out). But all to say, using my watch as Apple TV remote while cooking in kitchen is awesome, checking weather or chance of rain in the coming hours, or searching for a spark plug on Amazon with my voice while in garage is awesome. I can't wait to see what developers do with this thing.

4. Saves tons of phone battery for me. I know some people are complaining of less battery because of Bluetooth drains, but I'm gaining a lot of life cuz I'm just not messing with my phone very much. Not sure how this is for everyone else tho.

5. Style: so this will be different for everyone but I've had a blast creating a few different watch face "presets" I switch between depending on what I'm doing. When I'm at work I have lots of complications up with a digital time readout for maximum efficiency. After work though I change it to a minimal watch face with traditional dial. This, combined with fave colors and band colors to match your wardrobe has been fun and gives this particular smart watch one of the best lifestyle matching and taste options.

All to say, I've definitely been enjoying this thing a lot and all the conveniences have changed how my last two days have been in small, but meaningfully convenient ways, and I'm looking forward to see where it goes...

Commence "cool story bro" comments in 3...2...1... ;)

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I feel the same way but hey, what do I know? Isn't it cool to hate on Apple products these days or is that just in these forums?

3. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Cool... Joking.

Interesting - I find the activity app helpful but not to the degree you do. I'm noticing quite a difference in battery drain. Im hoping there will be further optimization to ease that.

4. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Sweet! I get mine on Tuesday so I like to read **** like this.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Did you actually does all that or you just tell us theoretically? I read that some people are having problem with bluetooth headphone when exercising and it doesn't give me much confidence.

6. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Glad you're enjoying your watch! It isn't for everyone, but some people do absolutely love it. Sadly, I've kinda fell somewhere in the middle. One moment it's great, and then the next moment I'm filled with regret :D

Anyway, great write up!

7. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yep.

As I said in another thread yesterday, it has effectively erased my notification FOMO where I have to compulsively check my phone every so often. Now I simply wait for them to come to me. Very liberating.

8. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I hope my feelings about the watch mimic yours. Glad you're happy with it! :)

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I think you're going to be surprised. Looking at one's watch is a universal sign for "I'd rather be somewhere else" or "This is boring, how long has it been?" It is pretty rude in certain circumstances, while pulling out your phone is seen as productivity. Your company may think you should be paying more attention to them, but at least on your phone you are obviously checking on a text message or phone call or something. It'll take a while for people to get used to the fact that a watch can have the exact same meaning.

10. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Done it two days in a row now... In a 90 minute session the song cut out for 1-2 seconds twice probably. But it cut out at least once per workout when using just my phone so not sure if it's watch or headphones. Either way, I'm an 80's kid grew up in the "cd skipping" era so it's not biggie to me.

11. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Makes my wait even harder lol but these points are exactly why I think a smart watch will be so beneficial in the long run.

My fitbit flex now keeps me motivated, I can only image what the watch will do.

Good point about not dropping your phone. When I was waiting for Uber after a night of drinking, I dropped my phone and had to get the screen replaced. The watch will definitely come in handy in those situations. Not that the watch will keep my sober enough, but at least it's strapped to my wrist :D

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I feel the same way. As a 6 Plus owner it has been wonderful only pulling my huge phone out for times when I actually need to use it rather than for when I just need to check the time or see what a notification was.

It also feels and looks great and it is fun checking my activity stats, seeing what my heart rate is at various times etc. I even caught myself checking my instagram feed while in line at chipotle the other day. Going to check out clear or some other type of to do list app that can interface with the watch as well because I think it will come in very handy.

13. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Cool story bro.....seriously, I mean cool story bro! I enjoyed your excitement and thanks for taking the time to convey it. Can't wait to get mine. :D

14. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Yeah I even forgot to mention apple pay on this thing is awesome. Went to Panera and worked like a charm!

15. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I will share my cool factor----when I blue tooth synch my radio in car I can change the track from my watch since have no steering wheel controls!! Love it

16. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Great points and good to see positive real world reviews early.

Many things you note are things I have tried to explain to friends that aren't sold on the watch, yet.

I sit down a lot, and I put my iPhone 6+ in my front left pocket. Both for convenience and security(not theft, but dropping it on the floor security). It'll be priceless to only have to remove my phone when I REALLY need to use it and with the watch, I will almost always know when that is.

One thing I am dying to try is the Arccos Golf App and Kit in unison with the watch.

17. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I have also noticed pulling my phone out less. Great getting sports scores and dismissing emails with a quick flick of the wrist. Also can delete emails quickly.

Used apple pay at subway and workers were amazed

18. blindside217 macrumors regular

If you have bluetooth headphones paired to the Watch, when you answer a call on the Watch, does it route through the headphones? Also, calls work when on the same network and not in Bluetooth range of the iPhone, right? I just switched to T-Mobile and now have Wi-Fi calling so I will have to decide if I want to disable that to be able to do calls from the Watch. I wasn't really counting on using the calling feature that much from the Watch.

19. LD Curb macrumors regular

LD Curb

Yes! I feel the same way and can't imagine wearing a "regular" watch again! I love being able to listen to music on my Bluetooth headset and adjust the volume, etc. with my watch .. so much handier than digging in my purse for the phone or trying to feel for the correct button on the headset.

I love the "time to stand up" notices ... the calls and texts that are right there. The notifications.. the "Glances" ... It is just a brilliant piece of equipment!

20. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

You already have 5 bands?!

21. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

22. Maddux4163 macrumors member

Love this post as well. This was never meant to be an iPhone on your wrist. As stated in its announcement back in September. So I'm not sure what people expected. Also I don't want an iPhone on my wrist. If I can monitor my workouts. Reply to important texts. Check email. I'm a happy camper. Plus it looks nice. Not like this huge ugly things I see some people wear as a smart watch.

23. arminta7 macrumors regular

arminta7

Feel the same. Love love my watch. This thing is a game changer. :D

24. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

I too love it and amazed how quickly it's become part of my routine, couldn't be happier with it and battery life is amazing.

25. yalag macrumors 65816

Ok for all of you who is saying that it saves you checking the phone. How are you doing this? Because with my watch, when a mail notification comes in I can only dismiss it. And then later I have to go to the phone to mark it as read. Super annoying.