Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MK25toLife

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Ok so I'm ready to by LP8, I stayed away for Logic for a long time but it seems like this is the way to go. I just heard my favorite producer rave about it at a panel today and I'm ready to make the jump. Since there's no buyer's guide for Mac programs I just want to make sure a new LP9 isn't coming out in the next 6 months or anything like that.

When can I expect an LP9 and should I wait? What is the learning curve? I have experience with other programs and DAW's such as FL Studio, Reason and Pro Tools. Thanks in advance!

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Well, it was three and a half years between Logic 7 and Logic 8, so I doubt we will see Logic 9 anytime soon. We are still at 8.0.2 and there *might* be a paid update sometime (maybe when Snow Leopard comes out next year?), but that shouldn't be anything to hold you back.

If you are familiar with other DAW then Logic in it's current form should be pretty straightforward. 8 is a lot easier to learn than 7 was. The Apple Pro series from Peachpit and MacProVideo are some of the best resources if you want to learn some tricks and menu shortcuts.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
There is no way to tell when Logic 9 will arrive, Apple don't give that kind of information away, and that's why you're posting on a rumors site...!

Logics learining curve is steep because it's complex, it's midi processing alone is complex.

If you know Protools and Reason, you have the underlying principles, but Logic does everything slightly differently, be prepared to do some reading.

dLight

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Well, it was three and a half years between Logic 7 and Logic 8, so I doubt we will see Logic 9 anytime soon. We are still at 8.0.2 and there *might* be a paid update sometime (maybe when Snow Leopard comes out next year?), but that shouldn't be anything to hold you back.

If you are familiar with other DAW then Logic in it's current form should be pretty straightforward. 8 is a lot easier to learn than 7 was. The Apple Pro series from Peachpit and MacProVideo are some of the best resources if you want to learn some tricks and menu shortcuts.

I think it was slightly less than 3 years between the Logic 7 and Logic 8 release, but I agree both that it's very unlikely that we'll see a Logic 9 version this year (Logic 8.1 isn't out yet) and that that 8 is a lot easier to learn than 7 was. I've seen people with practically no DAW experience get into real work with Logic within minutes, really. Unlike Pro Tools, Logic 8 is built around an (optional) one-window approach.

Then again, if someone is used to working with another DAW, it could take a little longer because they may (unconsciously) somehow expect that things are done the same way in different applications - but that could be a problem for someone coming from Logic to another DAW as well.

cgingrich

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
I say go for it....I was actually able to get it for $149 at my University bookstore....that alone is more than worth it for all of the Jam Packs. Logic 9 is a ways away.

Esrb99

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
yeah, I got it for $149 as well... I was surprised by that, as on their apple store and the edu store, it was like $499 discounted... I waled in with $500 cash and it rang up as that.. why is it so cheap ah well, im not complaining. just get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.