OK to buy the "white" Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RobT, Nov 6, 2008.

1. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I'm thinking of getting the "new" white Macbook for $999. I've never had a Mac (have been on Windows) and was wondering if it was a good purchase.

My real question is if the new white Macbook is as good (or better) than the old (pre-October) one.

The reviews I have read are positive but it seems its hard to tell whether its a review of the old one or the new one. I can still get an old one if I act now so I'm wondering which is better.

Does the new one have issues like quality control issues? Does the new one perform better? I guess I would rather buy a new one for $999 over an old one for say $899 as long as it's as good quality wise and performance wise.

TIA

2. molala macrumors 6502a

It's exactly the same as the pre-October white Macbook.

3. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

No, the new one has superdrive.

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I think you would be better off buying a refurb 2.2 or 2.4 whitebook for only slightly more.

5. Bwilky macrumors regular

It's a great computer, it was what Apple was selling just a month ago. I have the current mb, and a five month old whitebook. The current MB is a beast compared to the old one. The one big issue I had with the whitebooks was the plastic. It got really dirty and stained really easily. It can also crack later on. I'd personally fork out the extra $250 for the latest mb.

6. cube macrumors G4

I wouldn't get the alu MB because of the lack of FireWire.

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Ummmm. Might want to check the benchmarks. Last gen and this one shows no improvement in performance. So if you are saying beast by meaning performance then you are full of it. It isn't true. If you mean looks then it is an opinion because everyone sees beauty differently. I think the new one looks like a Toshiba. If you mean graphics for mostly games you are right it is much better. My friend has the new one and we tested it side by side against mine and the benchmarks were basically right. The new 2.0 is about 15% less performing than the previous gen 2.4.

Cracking. My friend has had 2 QC problems with his brand new alu Macbook. Apple will fix it like Apple fixed the cracking some people had. I have had 2 Macbook and no cracking. Wife has had 1 and no cracking. I have had 3 friends who have them and no cracking. If you get a crack they will fix it like they will fix a lot of the problems with the new one.