Ok to delete iPhoto previews folder?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ja Di ksw, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I switched from iPhoto to Aperture, and imported my iPhoto library. I told it to move my library, but when I look at the size of each folder here is what I see:

Aperture:
    Masters: 191.16 GB
    Previews: 8.05 GB

iPhoto:
    Masters: 74.9 MB
    Previews: 57.86 GB

The previews folder is huge for iPhoto! Way bigger than the previews folder for Aperture. Why would that be? If I don't use iPhoto anymore, can I delete it? I would really like that almost 60 GB of space, my computer is starting to run out of room, but I'm afraid Aperture is somehow using it and it will screw up Aperture.

2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

What I would recommend doing is moving it on to an external drive and then ejecting the drive. If everything works just fine then you can delete it, if not then you can move it back and go about trying to figure out why.

3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

That was my original thought too, but I only have one external HD and it doesn't have enough room, too full of RAW photos :eek:

4. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Ah, in that case simply moving it to a new location and/ or renaming it should work.

5. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

Did the same exact thing last night... Just move the iPhoto library to trash, but don't empty it. The first time I imported my library to Aperture, it didn't work right so when I moved the iPhoto library to the trash, Aperture could not find the photos. Then I restored the iPhoto library and imported it into Aperture again. When I did it the right way, moving the iPhoto library to the trash did not affect photos in Aperture. Emptying trash was nerve-wracking, but it worked!

I also backed it up onto an external, just it case...

6. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Brilliantly simple :), and it worked! Thanks, I have a ton more room on the computer now. And a lot of things seem 'snappier' ;)