OK to have time machine backups and carbon copy cloner backup on same drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yoitsmike92, Aug 17, 2010.

1. yoitsmike92 macrumors newbie

Right now I have a 500gb external drive that I've been using for time machine, and everything has been fine.

Recently though, I decided that I should use CCC so I can have a bootable drive, should something go wrong with the one inside my macbook. I just cloned everything right onto the time machine drive, and it works fine. But will the drive be bootable if my macbook crashes?

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Yes, it will be bootable. I ran this way for a couple of weeks when my hard drive failed. In fact, you can boot from it now and check it out if you are worried about it.

To boot from the external drive, hold down the Option key during startup. Your computer will display icons for any bootable drive. Select the new drive, and your computer should boot from it.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If you told CCC to make it bootable, then it will be. Only one way to find out, follow red's instructions.

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Don't forget you have booted to your backup though! I did that once and was working away when I should have been using my new HDD (after I cloned it back). Don't tell anyone I did that though. :eek:

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Yep, as redwarrior said, try it out...personally I'd be more comfortable with TM and CCC backups on separate partitions, but that's just me.