Ok to leave touch on 24/7?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yodinyer, May 18, 2008.

1. yodinyer macrumors newbie

I make sure to always keep it on sleep mode whenever I'm not using it. I charge it almost every night. Will this deteriorate the overall lifespan of the battery? And if so, how much of a difference are we talking about? Like a week's worth of use? A month? A couple months? I try to drain the battery to lower than 15 to 20 percent of it's battery life to exercise it's full capacity every couple weeks. Any input on the matter would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I do exactly the same thing. I figure that the battery should be fine until I need to buy a replacement in about 2 or 3 years.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I only charge my battery when it's necessary, so given the fact that I mostly use it as a PDA, that's only about once or twice a week. It's been turned off once, ever (I've had it since January). Battery life has been pretty darn good on it and I haven't noticed any deterioration yet.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I use mine as a PDA too. I plug it into my Sony radio/alarm clock that my wife bought me for xmas so it gets charged every night. Guess it would be really difficult to replace the battery if there was a problem.

5. yodinyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh cool, thanks for the prompt responses from everyone. Also thanks for the info, I guess I'll keep using it the way I've been using it. Thanks again everyone.

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

mine is on 24/7 it is only off if I need it in restore mode

7. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I turn it off when I go to sleep. I'll sacrifice waiting 15 seconds for it to turn on in the morning in order to leave the battery off for 7 hours at night (11 on weekends :p). I'm sure I'm not extending my batteries overall life that much, but hey, is there really an advantage to leaving it on all night? lol...So for me, it's on all day in sleep mode, but at night, shut down.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

I dont turn mine off, use is all the time for music, movies, movies on the tv, and internet

I charge when the time comes, and battery life has been amazing!

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I leave mine on as well. Only time I turn mine off is when flight attendant tells me too. I also use it as a PDA and as an alarm.

10. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I don't know what "turning it off" entails. I don't use my Touch all that often, really only on some plane trips, but the only "off" I use is the button on the top. I turn off the wireless connection when I use it on an airplane.

Funny, I am pretty gadget centric, however I did not know there was some sort of complete shutdown mode.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm the same as OP I leave mine on pretty much all the time and charge it every sunday or when needed, battery hasn't caused any problems so far seems to hold a charge for more than a week at a time, when not using it I just bung it in sleep mode.

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you hold down that button on the top for a few seconds, a screen pops up prompting you to shut it down.

13. Wicker macrumors regular

I also leave it on all the time. I use it mostly as a PDA (although I have some music and videos on it for some occasions) and the battery is great... rarely have to charge it.

14. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

For all the people here who are saying they leave their iPods on all night, do you get anything beneficial out of doing this? Because personally for me, it just seems logical to shut a device down if I'm not going to use it for 8+ hours. Im just curious.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

first off its just sleeping so nothing is really running, second, i have a crappy knockoff ihome, but it charges it all night, and before i go to sleep i choose a song i want to wake up to. When my alarm goes off, my ipod is taken out of sleep mode and plays the song i wanted. Turning it off means i wouldnt wake up on time (god forbid i wake up to the sound of a buzzer) :apple:

16. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

It's in sleep mode and uses very little battery, so I don't see a reason to turn it off completely, especially since it takes a little more time to do it. I rarely turn off my iMac at home or my Mac Pro at work, either.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Turning the iPod ON drains the battery. Go ahead, restart your iPod twice and you'll have like 50% battery life in no time. It's okay to leave it on all night, sleeping takes way less energy than booting it up.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

this is part of the reason i leave it on also, booting takes SO MUCH battery (its like 10-15%:apple:

19. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I leave mine on constantly....it's more than happy!

Wish I could say the same...I always show them it's off (Gawd bless Stand By)...wait for them to buckle in and turn it back on again. I always like a fast upbeat song in me lobes as the engines surge the plane into take-off! ;)

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I could be wrong but, I think there's a reason why you're told to turn off electronic devices and shut down computers when you're taking off. Can't it get damaged by the changes in air pressure and stuff?

21. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Supposedly electronic devices can interfere with the aircraft’s communication and navigation systems, but it's never been proven conclusively that they do. Then again, no one has been able to conclusively disprove it, either. The governments of the world would rather be safe than sorry in this instance.

22. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

My mate's an aircraft engineer and he says it's all rubbish! The reason you're asked to is in case there's an emergency during take off or landing!

I never have it on loud so figure it's cool. I guess not everyone is so sparing with the volume button though! ;)