OK to mix Ram?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
So last month I upgraded my MBP's ram to 8gb. I bought from OWC and the ram was Nuram. Well I experienced the screen flickering with the 8gb. This was when I had the Intel HD graphics on. Others have reported the same issue with 8gb of Nuram. Apparently it was a bad batch. So I returned 1 4gb stick and I am deciding to buy another 4gb stick but this time it won't be Nuram.

My question is, can I mix the Nuram thats already in my MBP with a 4gb Crucial stick? Both DDR3-PC3-8500. Thanks for all suggestions.

This is what I would have in my MBP.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT51264BC1067
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/8566DDR3S4GB/

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Yes. Some people don't recommend it, but I've never had any problems. :)

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, just out of curiosity why do some people not recommend it?
From Buying RAM:
Dual Channel: many Apple machines use dual channel memory. In a few cases, this means that memory must be installed in matched pairs. Your computer's manual would say so if that's true. For the majority of cases, unpaired chips will work fine, but matched pairs will result in a slight speed increase (on the order of a few percent).

Comment

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
That's not a reason for not installing matching pairs from different manufacturers though. In my mind there should be no negatives at all from installing RAM from different manufacturers as long as the size and chip speed are the same.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That's not a reason for not installing matching pairs from different manufacturers though. In my mind there should be no negatives at all from installing RAM from different manufacturers as long as the size and chip speed are the same.
I agree, but the question was why some recommend against mismatched RAM. This is the explanation for that. In the OP's case, however, the RAM suggested is not mismatched. It's matched, but made by different manufacturers, which isn't an issue.

Comment

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I agree, but the question was why some recommend against mismatched RAM. This is the explanation for that. In the OP's case, however, the RAM suggested is not mismatched. It's matched, but made by different manufacturers, which isn't an issue.
Right. I would never put DDR2 with DDR3 or 1066mhz with 1333mhz ram.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.