Ok to purchase a 2012 MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eperrine, Jan 21, 2013.

  1. eperrine, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

    eperrine macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #1
    This is the advertisement for the second hand MBP I am purchasing tonight for $950 AUD (for university). It's as follows:

    I am looking to sell my Macbook Pro 13", Was bought new in August 2012, Specs are as follows ; 500GB Hard drive, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel i5 processor, Intel HD 3000 graphics, is running Mountain Lion 10.8.2, It is in absolutely immaculate condition (not a mark on it!), Comes with box, chargers etc, also comes with Apple magic mouse and remote.

    I thought it was a good deal. Just wondering, I am looking at the MacRumors buyers guide and it says new MBPS will be added soon. Is it a bad idea for me to buy this MBP now, is it worth waiting a couple of months for the new one, or should I go for it?

    TY
     
  2. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #2
    The classic MBPs (non retina)?

    I'm a believer if you need to buy something, buy it and enjoy your machine. :D
     
  3. robo456 macrumors 6502

    robo456

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #3
    Wasn't the 2011 the one with intel 3000 , and 2012 was 4000?

    --rob
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    Soon is subjective ;)

    Apple will mostly likely refresh the line in some form after Intel releases the Haswell chipset in April. Will it be only the 15" MBP or will it include the 13" - I have no idea. So you're looking at a May to June release of the new MBPs. Is that soon for you and your needs? If you need one now get one otherwise wait the 5 to 6 months.
     
  5. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #5
    The 2013 refresh will depend on when Intel release Haswell mainstream mobile chips. Use that as your guide.
     
  6. Ploki macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #6
    I just got one less than a week ago... Couldn't care less if they get updated or not - its faster than my old mac pro and lighter than my old macbook pro. Loving every inch of it. if you need it, get it.
     
  7. hallux macrumors 68030

    hallux

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2012
    #7
    Correct, it's a 2011 model if it has the HD3000. While the seller may have bought it from Apple in Aug. 2012, it likely was from the refurb store. The 2012 models have the HD 4000 as you said.
     
  8. LeeM macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #8
    go for a 2012 model, but that one is a 2011. usb3 is much faster than 2 for a start and the hd4000 is somethin silly like twice as good as the hd3000
     
  9. eperrine thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #9
    Oh ****, the 2011 model? I feel like throwing up.
    Should have read this thread before I purchased. Did I just get scammed.
     
  10. Spink10 Suspended

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #10
    Those spec are 2011 - did you buy that machine thinking it was 2012?
     
  11. eperrine thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #11
    Indeed I did, if I knew it was 2011 I never would have bought it. In the ad he said "bought in 2012", so it's my fault not his. Ah boy, that'll teach me a lesson for being so careless and in a rush. -_-

    Atleast I don't need big graphics anyway, because I have a gaming PC for that. Still a shame, though.

    ----------

    P.S I am having issues re installing a new Mountain Lion. If anyone could help out, here's the link:

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16702752#post16702752
     
  12. Spink10 Suspended

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
  13. eperrine thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #13
    $950 AUD. Comes with a magic mouse and apple remote, macbook was in mint condition. I only paid that because I thought it was a 2012 model. Could have found a 2011 for probably $800.

    P.S, that was a good deal based on the competition around my area.
     
  14. el-John-o macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2010
    Location:
    Missouri
    #14
    You could go crazy waiting on updates.

    First off, Apple isn't going to announce the new MBP the day Intel starts shipping Haswell. Their track record is closer to about 3 months after a chip is launched, the first Apple computers start shipping with those chips. I wouldn't buy a MacBook Pro after haswell launches (until it has a haswell chip!) but I certainly would now.

    We're months away from Haswell, and a couple months after that away from a Haswell-equipped MBP.

    If you've got a good machine and don't need an upgrade, sure. But if you need or are ready for an upgrade, go for it. Haswell is going to be an incremental upgrade anyway, the focus is on low power consumption. Apple has state of the art (and very big) batteries to combat power hungry components. Haswell may enable them to use smaller batteries for the same battery life (thus reducing weight), or slightly increase the battery life. Who knows, it's all speculation. However, few people are predicting a very serious, revolutionary upgrade. Thing of this next refresh as like the "S" refresh in the iPhone line. Incremental changes in performance to keep up with the latest technology, but likely not anything radical.

    Some think they'll drop the non-retina model, I don't though. I think the line will remain, but it will have a simple quiet refresh to the latest chips. I also think we are months and months away from that. Some are saying Haswell might not even ship until late 2013, so you may be waiting until next Christmas!

    Or, Intel could release Haswell quickly, right around the corner, and Apple could surprise us by having a refresh alongside the Haswell launch. Guess what? Your 2012 MBP will still work, and will still blow away the competition!

    My $0.02 anyway. If I were in your shoes (and guess what, a couple weeks ago I was) I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over buying now, even if Haswell gets released early AND Apple adopts it quickly.

    By the way the latest I've seen is from a leaked Intel Roadmap, which is shooting for a June 2 launch of Haswell. June 2nd, and then compound Apples record of right around 3 months of time between chip launch and a model refresh, we're talking October... That's a long time to wait! And guess what, Intel will already have rumors about Broadwell being in the pipeline for 1Q 2014... It's a wonderful never ending cycle. Just buy what you need and upgrade when you can.
     
  15. Spink10 Suspended

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #15
    If it was purchased in 2012 - it should still have warranty.
     
  16. eperrine thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #16
    Your point? :p He said August 2012, so yeah, I'd still have about six months to go.
     
  17. chrisperro, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

    chrisperro macrumors 6502

    chrisperro

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2009
    Location:
    canada
    #17
    his point is that you just got scam and now you believe that still have warranty?
    have you check the serial number for warranty? or you just believe what the seller said???
    not trying to be rude but c' mon man!!
     
  18. Spink10 Suspended

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #18
    Trying to find some positives from your purchase. :)
     

Share This Page