OK to Rename Applications?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hanguolaohu, Dec 5, 2009.

1. hanguolaohu macrumors regular

Is it OK to rename Applications in the Applications folder?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. hanguolaohu thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thx. The app I use goes by 2 different names but I always remember one name over another.

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You could always create an alias and rename the alias the name you always remember.

mt

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Those applications for which it is not a good idea to rename them have a built-in safeguard: they won't allow it. At least I've run into some that refuse. Perhaps it's a permissions issue that can be tweaked, however. But, I've changed names of some (just to include the X.n.n version number) and that hasn't caused a problem.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If you change the names of any Apple apps (built-in or not), you should be aware that it will cause updates to put the new version alongside the old instead of replacing it, and that your Dock icon will continue to launch the old version. Not that big of a deal, but you'll need to remember to check your changes after applying Software Updates .

NOTE: I believe this would also apply to 3rd party apps that update themselves from within the app. That includes anything using Sparkle, like Growl, Pixelmator, Adium, Handbrake, 1Password, Transmission, Colloquy, and many, many others.

7. hanguolaohu thread starter macrumors regular

I will just create an alias to be safe. Thank you for all the helpful advice guys!