Ok to sell my bottom case with my serial #?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ann P, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Ann P macrumors 68020

Got a replacement bottom panel for my MacBook due to a big dent. I now want to sell it off on eBay for some money. Problem is that there's a serial number on the case. With that said, is it safe to sell it off with the serial exposed?

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Im not sure what they could do with it, but I probably wouldn't. They could call Apple and report the SN stolen, so if you ever bring your computer in for service it will show up as stolen. Im not sure what else they could do.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is there any way to get rid of it? Is it just a sticker?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's engraved into the aluminum, not a sticker.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just keep it. Dont know how much you can get for a dented piece of aluminum. :D

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually, some are over 50$ in eBay. But OP's is likely broken because he got it replaced. If you desperately need money, get it from other way.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Just get a dremel and grind out the etching. Look, you are already selling a damaged part. How much more can you hurt the value by grinding the inside that nobody sees?

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

How did you end up keeping the bottom case? I thought Apple keeps all parts it replaces?

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if it was replaced by :apple:?...

10. Ann P thread starter macrumors 68020

Applecare actually got me in touch with a local authorized Apple service provider. They replaced the case and I was able to keep the old one. On another note, thanks for the helpful advices. I will probably keep it, just to be on the safe side.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Why wouldnt it be safe? Theres nothing they could possibly do with it. They wouldnt put them on the outside of the case for everyone to see if any harm could be done with them. I never understood why people are scared of giving out their serial number. Im sure the box the computer came in has the serial number on it for every customer in the world to write down if they wanted, most devices are like that so people dont swap new machines with old machines and then take them back for refunds.