Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
California
Got a replacement bottom panel for my MacBook due to a big dent. I now want to sell it off on eBay for some money. Problem is that there's a serial number on the case. With that said, is it safe to sell it off with the serial exposed?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Got a replacement bottom panel for my MacBook due to a big dent. I now want to sell it off on eBay for some money. Problem is that there's a serial number on the case. With that said, is it safe to sell it off with the serial exposed?

Im not sure what they could do with it, but I probably wouldn't. They could call Apple and report the SN stolen, so if you ever bring your computer in for service it will show up as stolen. Im not sure what else they could do.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Just keep it. Dont know how much you can get for a dented piece of aluminum. :D

Actually, some are over 50$ in eBay. But OP's is likely broken because he got it replaced. If you desperately need money, get it from other way.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Just get a dremel and grind out the etching. Look, you are already selling a damaged part. How much more can you hurt the value by grinding the inside that nobody sees?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
How did you end up keeping the bottom case? I thought Apple keeps all parts it replaces?

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
California
Applecare actually got me in touch with a local authorized Apple service provider. They replaced the case and I was able to keep the old one. On another note, thanks for the helpful advices. I will probably keep it, just to be on the safe side.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Why wouldnt it be safe? Theres nothing they could possibly do with it. They wouldnt put them on the outside of the case for everyone to see if any harm could be done with them. I never understood why people are scared of giving out their serial number. Im sure the box the computer came in has the serial number on it for every customer in the world to write down if they wanted, most devices are like that so people dont swap new machines with old machines and then take them back for refunds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.