OK to "top off" battery every night?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rob in Richmond, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Rob in Richmond macrumors newbie

Hey Folks,

I'm planning on charging my Touch every night even if the battery's still 3/4 full. Is that ok or is the Touch's battery one of those that should be fully discharged before a recharging?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

You don't need to dis-charge it everytime you use it. The touch is fine not doing that, you could make the battery worse doing so.

I would try to avoid topping up the battery overnight if you can. Constant overcharge can also damage the battery life. That's why, with laptops, if you have it plugged in constantly - it's advisable to remove the battery and just run off the mains as it will slowly lower the battery capacity.

Hope this helps.

3. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Not only is it OK but it is preferred. The type of battery in the iPod Touch is supposed to be "topped off..." Basically, when you're not using it, put it on the charger. Don't worry about "Overcharging;" there is a circuit that prevents that.

4. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Off topic (sorry), but I should just point out here that Apple strongly advises against this, and actually limits performance of your notebook if you have the battery removed.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That is completely false. Power management in laptops is quite intelligent - they know when the battery is done charging and discontinue feeding it charge. Laptops are not at all similar to "dumb" cordless power tool rechargers. It is not necessary to remove your battery, or to unplug your computer and purposely run off the battery. All that does is degrade performance and create hassle.

6. rj5555 macrumors newbie

about li-ion batteries as used in the ipod touch:

1- best to charge the before they are empty
    2- when you plan on not using it for a long time; charge to 75% and store in a cool place
    3- do not use below 0 degrees celcius or above 40•C
    4- li-ion bat. have a limited life, they will degrade if when you don' t use them (so best to use the ipod)

7. aft macrumors regular

I have seen this in a lot of other places including battery manufactures sites. The days of "overcharging" portable electronics is long past.