OK to transplant system HD onto identical MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randyhudson, Feb 22, 2010.

1. randyhudson macrumors regular

I purchased a MBP 15" last July to use at my job. My employer has finally decided to upgrade my 3-year-old (windows) laptop (which I wasn't even using), with the exact same configuration MBP I bought for myself: the high-end 15" MBP w/ 7200rpm option. My parents will be buying my current MBP from me.

I would simply sell them the one I got from my company, but the company probably cares about the serial #s matching what they gave me. So, is it safe to simply swap the harddrives? It seems like that would be much faster than doing a time machine backup & restore.

Is there anything in the OS that cares about the hardware's "hash" or "signature", like there is in windows XP? I know my MAC addresses will change, etc., but what other problems should I look for?

Thanks in advance.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

i've taken an HDD out of one Macbook and put in another and it worked fine
    also, did an install of OSX onto a new 320gb that was in an external dock, then put it in a Macbook and it worked fine

if you're just taking one MBP HDD and putting it in another similar MBP , you should be fine ...... just don't let the other drive go too far just in case

4. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

This is a practiced method at the Apple Genius Bar. I have gotten replacements for Macbooks where the issue was known to not be the harddrive. The genius put my harddrive into the replacement machine and I was on my way with a new system without the hassle of data transfer! :)

5. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Should be ok...

I'd be sure to at least de-authorize the old machine in iTunes, and de-activate any software such as Adobe Creative Suite that requires and keeps track of online activation before making the swap. You can re-activate everything afterwards.

6. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Some time ago, I replaced my MBP's HD with a bigger one. That was not too complicated; however, in this case it would probably be much easier to clone your old MBP's HD to your new (using FireWire and SuperDuper, e.g.), and then install a fresh system on the MBP you're giving away. It'll be faster than TimeMachine, and maybe even faster than opening two MBPs.

Unless, you're up for the challenge, that is... ;)