ok to turn data roaming on if in US only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hokeydays, Jul 21, 2008.

1. hokeydays macrumors newbie

data roaming was off by default...if I stay in 48 states only, will I not incur add'l charges?
    What do I get with it on? How does it work?
    Thank you!

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If you're in an area covered by AT&T, just leave it off.

That feature is mainly there so that, if someone takes their AT&T iPhone abroad, the phone will not jump onto a foreign network to check mail, fetch data, etc. I'm not sure if it would do the same in an area with no AT&T coverage in the United States, but I'm guessing it might.

But if you're getting reception, there's no point in turning it on, lest you do leave the country and forget to turn it off.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you're staying within the states (even Alaska and Hawaii), then there is no need to turn it on. If you're getting a signal in the US, then you're not considered "roaming." Turning roaming on won't have any effect either way in the US.

(In reality, there are a number of small rural GSM carriers you could be roaming on, and even T-Mobile in some limited locations, but officially they're not considered "roaming" in terms of how you're billed, and your banner will still read "AT&T." Roaming is for international carriers only.)