OK to use alcohol to clean the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slapple, Dec 6, 2011.

1. slapple, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

slapple macrumors 6502

I just got my new 15" MBP with antiglare screen yesterday, and after I took it out of the plastic wrapping, I noticed some black gunk along the bezel and a smudge on the LCD. So I took a 70% isopropyl alcohol swab and used it to clean the bezel and LCD. Now I found an Apple article where it says "don't use alcohol" to clean displays. Do you think I might have hurt the LCD?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you have glass then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's antiglare then i'd start to panic and probably hyperventilate.

3. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

4. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Stop doing that, don't do it again, and hope nothing went wrong.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

its fine

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Once shouldn't hurt, even better that you used a lower %. Its just not recommended since alcohol will wear away coatings on the glass. Also don't use windex. I use lens cleaner for my screen

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

@slapple:

I use a 50 % ethylalcohol / 50 % water mixture for the aluminum parts, the glass trackpad and my mouse, after regular cleaning with a wet cloth (just a low amount of water) and a try cloth. The unibody, mouse and the keyboard tolerate this, because they are designed to resist a certain amount of acids, alcohols and other natural occurring chemicals.