OK, Weird noises coming from MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kimosaabee, Aug 16, 2009.

1. kimosaabee macrumors member

Got a new MBP 17" 500GB 7200rpm about 2 months ago. Recently It's starting to make this weird clicking and beeping noise more and more. It used to do it every once in a while and I didn't think too much of it, but recently it's started doing it more, quite a bit actually. Is this something I need to be worried about? I'm thinking it is the Hard Drive, is that true? if so, then what?

I am also getting the spinning beach ball a lot more often, for a good minute at a time. I am currently on the latest build of SL, the one right before release.

Thanks for any help guys!!!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

no.. I dont even know if it is the hard drive... sounds like it's coming from the left hand side, (up by the power adapter). It first does a couple clicks or pops, then a beep. It's bloody weird!

4. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

WOW, that sucks ass! Good thing I paid the premium for a Mac so I could have quality parts... and what do I get? a POS Seagate with problems... Sure maybe they'll replace it for free, but for what? 2 weeks without my computer? not acceptable!

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm just glad that I ordered the "stock" hdd and just replaced it with my own hitachi travelstar 7200rpm 320GB model. No noises, slow downs or any problems.

6. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

maybe I'll just buy my own HD, does anyone know if apple is replacing these, or if it's still just a unfixed issue?

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It has a year warranty along with the rest of the computer. Take it in and they'll replace it if it's bad. Don't know with what??

WD Scorpio Blue 5400 rpm 500GB is pretty darn fast and less problems reported.

8. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

yeah, I plan on calling tomorrow. Thing is I don't have time to wait 2 or even 1 week without my laptop, I use it extensively on a daily basis. I paid 3k for this laptop to avoid issues like this. Should have stuck with the stock HD. I might have to wait for apple to fix their HD's before replacing it... otherwise they may give me the same one.

9. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

I hear there is some kind of firmware update for this? anyone else hear that? I can't believe this isn't more of a huge deal... It's like i'm back on a PC

10. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

And WD has produced some problem drives as well - virtually all hd manufacturers have made some lemons. IMO - the OP needs to calm down a bit and contact Apple and get things sorted out. The foul language and hyperbole are not going to solve anything.