Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
What the others have already said - don't expect anything new design-wise, expect the usual select component updates.

The real question here is what YOU'RE holding out for. If you don't have an exact idea of what you want in your new phone, that the iPhone5 isn't already catering to, I don't see why you'd be waiting in the first place. There's always gonna be something faster and greater around the corner, so if you're just holding out to "see what's next", you can sit there until you're old and gray.

However, since we're likely not going to see a design upgrade for around 2 years, you may as well commit now, and have an up to date looking phone for almost the full time of your commitment. If you skip the 5, like I skipped the 4, and hold out for some "5s" model, you'll only be up to date design-wise for up to a year, since the "iPhone 6" with a likely new design will already be out when you're still bound to the "5s" for the remaining year. As for me personally, the 4s already does all I want it to do power-wise, so at this point, It's really just all about the new design, so I got the 5 on a 2 year contract, I'm pretty at ease now, knowing my phone won't look like yesterdays even after the refresh. (Of course, one can never be certain, but it's highly unlikely they'll drop a new design in the next model, considering the lengths they went through to offer up this one, and also judging by the recent iPhone history).
Figure out what's important to you, if the current iPhone serves your needs, go for it.

I agree, you should know what you want and for me it wasn't enough of a "want" to buy without upgrade dollars.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I mean they could make the iPhone 5 DIFFERENT, but I don't think they can make it any better at this point in time. The A6 screams, LTE is super fast and doesn't chug much battery, the design is gorgeous, the camera is top notch, and the screen size is a perfect compromise between the older iPhones and the giant Android phones.

It's Apple though, and they could wow us with something new. But the 5 is as close to perfect as I think a smartphone can get, and I am beyond happy with it.

Respectfully disagreed.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
...for those that chose to skip the 5, what are the rumored specs for the next model and apprx release timeframe. Any thoughts? Screen size staying the same? etc... Are they going to pull an iPad and release early or staying late in year?

Confirmed May 14th.

1.5ghz Dual Core
4" screen
LED notification on front.
1080P Front and Rear Camera
10MP Rear
NFC
2X the iPhone 5 graphics processor speed

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Dual Core 1.5GHZ
4" screen
2.0MP front facing camera
12MP Rear
2X graphics
iOS7
128GB

The next upgrade is 5S so don't expect a new design or anything crazy. Mostly processor, graphics, camera, iOS

If your underwhelmed by the iPhone 5 then the 5S probably will not impress you

Probably the main features will be within iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.