Ok, what's the catch ? (hackintosh)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Dr. McKay, Feb 4, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've loaded OSX on a hackintosh and it can be very easy depending on the hardware you have for the computer.

2. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be a little more complicated. I'm thinking about a dualb-boot with OS X and Linux on a PC laptop...

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

The catch is that not everything works 100% and not all hardware is compatible, most hardware isn't compatible without some hacking.

Mostly issues with sleep are the problems ive run into. But im using a motherboard that supposedly works 100% I just cant seem to get the right combination of drives for the GPU and motherboard bios settings.

4. nyolc8 macrumors regular

I'm using OSX on my PC for 3 years now, started with Snow Leopard, then updated to Lion, then Mountain Lion, now Mavericks. Always updated to each 10.x.x version as they came out. I even tested developer versions. I got everything working (even sleep, find my mac, FaceTime, iCloud, etc.), only my bluetooth usb stick have some problems (it would have these problems on a real mac too) but that works too.
    Of course because it's a PC, I need to patch some kexts on updates.
    So that's the catch. Almost (not all) every 10.x.x update needs some extra work.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

What do you think about an IBM ThinkPad T60 or a Toshiba Satellite made in 2009? :confused:

6. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

There are a bunch of sites dedicated to this, you know.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

Orly, can you share if allowed cause i'm new to this? :D

8. d3vilsadvocate macrumors newbie

Depending on your setup it can be very hard or downright impossible to get it up and running. Not to mention that by the time you get this thing running you might have worked overtime and earn enough money to buy a proper mac.

And there will be random kernel panics, lots of them ^^

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Google is your friend …
    If you need some help with how to search - look for OS X on 86
    that will give you plenty of potential answers to your questions

10. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

TonyMac, OSX86, etc. Srsly?

11. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I have triple boot on my HackBookPro as I call it an Acer 6920g. Win 7, Linux (Kubuntu flavour) and Mavericks all kinds of extra steps to go through to get it done. Everything but the SDXC card reader on it and HDMI out works. It was especially fun getting grub working again when I added additional ssd for Mavericks and put the original hd in the optical drives spot with an adapter made for that purpose.

http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com/...indows-8-mac-os-x-lion-and-ubuntu-multi-boot/

----------

I had SL on my old T60 since re-gifted to my nephew. Unfortunately I no longer have my install notes on how I did it laying around. One thing I can tell you is the wifi will never work unless you get BIOS to flash that whitelists a suitable card compatible with OSX. And insanelymac.com to answer your further question in this thread.

12. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

I've done it and not that easy-mode way either. I use a differently boot loader and do everything manually. It's as easy as OS X if you pre-selected the right hardware. The maintenance is also pretty easy, again, provided if you have the right hardware. Laptops are more difficult, but if you have some skill and diligence, you can get it to work. Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge laptops work best; I personally prefer Sandy Bridge since it's a little less complicated compared to Ivy Bridge.

13. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

You'd probably be better off running Ubuntu or some other Linux distro. And if you want to use mainstream software once in a while, you can dual-boot with Windows. It can be hard to leave OSX with its user-friendliness, iTunes, iMessage, mainstream software, and iOS-integration. Your choice really depends on what you want to do. If you want to browse the web and work on documents, Linux is fine. It can also be good for photo editing and it can be alright for video editing. It can also be pretty good for games, depending on which games you play (due to availability issues). And you don't have to use Terminal to install software because there is a GUI package manager - it's just more fun sometimes to install software via Terminal.

The great thing about Linux is that you can use pretty much whatever hardware you want. You can even do things like control the lighting on RGB keyboards from Razer and one or two other companies. Drivers can be an issue, though I'd say there are more Linux drivers than Mac drivers, especially for things like sound and graphics. One of my favorite things about Linux is that it has Pascal drivers, so you can use a Pascal card to play games in Linux. Another nice thing about Linux is that you can get it working without any hacks. Sure, you might want to install some things, like Dash-to-Dock or some themes, but it's pretty easy to get working. The installation is actually pretty easy. And if you don't want to burn the install disc yourself, you can always buy one for the cost of shipping. Most distributions have a "try" option so you can try out the OS without installing it - I know this is true of Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora.