Ok, where has my space gone?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Inconsequential, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Backstory: Photoshop was merging a huge panorama, I slept the machine, woke it up.

Few mins later warnings about no space on boot volume. Force Quit Photoshop and I end up 63Gb down on space!

It's a 160Gb Intel G2, it should have 85+GB free. It says currently it's 17...

This is what terminal says it all is:

sudo du -hs /*

11G /Applications
    9.3G /Developer
    5.4G /Library
    0B /Network
    2.3G /System
    8.0K /TheVolumeSettingsFolder
    42G /Users

= 70Gb used

That does not add up to the 152Gb of data I apparently have :p

Grand Perspective doesn't show this mega file and erase free space just fills the 17Gb of stuff.

Any ideas?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

Let's assume shall we that I've done all the obvious stuff ;)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I learned long ago not to assume anything that is not stated.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Why did you sleep your Mac in the middle of such an operation? When you sleep your computer it ceases to function, and creates a sleep image of everything currently in the RAM and saves it to the drive. This image can be quite large. Photoshop also needs a ton of disk space for its cache. So you end up writing two very big things to your HDD at the same time.

Have you restarted? Does the problem persist when you do?

6. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

Because the Mac Pro is in my bedroom and I do like to sleep at night ;)

And yes, I've restarted.

Done that, except I've used Grand Perspective (Disk Inventory X crashes on my system) - it doesn't show where this space has gone.

WhatSize just shows the same thing Finder and sudo Terminal does - I have 75Gb of space used.

The problem isn't about if this file exists, it doesn't according to everything I've run.

The system however *thinks* I have 145Gb used.

This fact is backed up by my Boot Disk backup software. The disk it backs up to (shock horror) says I have... 75Gb used!

How do I force OS X to re-index the entire harddisk to update the *actual* free space?

Other option is just to boot the backup, wipe the SSD and copy it all back again! :confused:

Edit: